Chapter Thirteen

Bella was overwhelmed with happiness and she had a handful of reasons to be. Soon she would be with Mary again. By some miracle she was able to gain passage on a ship that would depart early tomorrow morning. Due to the kindness of two strangers Bella wouldn’t have to spend the night without a roof over her head. All the money she’d gotten from the sale of the horse she’d taken gave her enough to buy her passage aboard the ship. The remainder she had left went towards an apple and peach she had for dinner. It was by chance she ran into Mira and Viktor Bolson an old married couple who reached out to her when she was on a search for a safer place to wait until it was time to board her ship.

“Here you can have this to wear?”

“Thank you Mira. I appreciate your kindness,” Bella said to the woman as she took what Mira was offering her.

“It’s nothing child.”

“You and yours husband are wonderful people.”

 “We can’t help but give out our kindness,” Mira said as she left out of the room to give Bella privacy.

Bella changed into the faded plain looking dress she was given. After changing she was about to retire for the night when the urge to relieve herself prevented her from doing so.  Bella left the room she was and headed down the hall. Whispers in excitement pulled her in the direction of the Bolson’s chambers.

“How much do you think she will be worth?” Bella frowned at these words that came from Mira. She placed her ear to the door.

“A lot, we can get a lot for that pretty little one. We just need to quickly send out word to Madam Greta about her. Did you see she had all her teeth? She looks cleaner than the usual young woman. We are going to be set my love. All our debts will be paid,” Viktor said as he snickered away. Mira laughed as she thought about all the money they were soon about to receive.

“I can smell the money now. Bella has been dropped in our lap to regain somewhat of our life back,” Mira said in glee.

“She is the best one yet. Bella is a beauty compared to the beasts we have pretended to be kind to.”

Bella’s heart dropped as she pieced together what the Bolson’s plans were and she felt sick. They were nice people she’d thought and now their words were proof enough at this moment it wasn’t so. She’d been a fool to accept their hospitality. They were old enough to be grandparents and yet they were conspiring to sell her to some woman, a madam Greta. Bella didn’t want to know who this woman was or be sold.

“I want to celebrate. We shall do so when she is gone and we have coins in our hands.”

“You should go now so we can have Greta’s approval of the girl. I’ll make some tea and slip some of the drugs into it to cause her to be asleep before your return.”

“I thought we used the last little we had on the last girl. Still pissed we couldn’t get more for her.”

“The woman’s teeth were blacker than her hair. I told you we weren’t going to get much for that one. Get over it husband. I got the woman drunk.”

“I love you woman. Your quick thinking is the reason I married you,” Viktor said as he nodded in approval at what she’d done with the last girl they had sold to Madam Greta. He was glad his wife hadn’t wasted the remainder of the drugs they had used against previous women that fail victim to the deceiving couple. They ended working in one of the many houses Madam Greta owned. Working and earning their keep as a maid, cook, or as a woman giving services to the places Greta owned. Many were beaten and fear had been expertly installed into them to none would leave.