Chapter Three

Chapter Three 

Bella was left in the care of a guard as her now enemy returned to finish and take his rage out elsewhere. She tried to seek information from the man tasked with the order to guard her but he only ignored her questions.

Bella’s clothing became soaked from her sweat. She couldn’t bare much more of the pain she was feeling. It seemed to amplify with each passing minute. Clenching her teeth together and breathing evenly didn’t help. It started to feel as if she was truly dying.

“You don’t look so good,” The guard said as he caught her from falling to the ground.

“I’m dying,” Bella said as she bended over and threw up.

“You’d better have a sit. I don’t think you are dying just a little sick is all.”

“I’m dying,” Bella repeated again before passing out. 

Bella woke up disoriented to the sound of voices above her. One belonged to a man and the other to a woman. She wanted them to hush because of the pounding headache she had. She only mumbled her request.

She dosed off again but not before she heard the woman speak yet again.

"There is no longer a babe M'lord."

Bella drifted in and out of consciousness. She would always be met by someone forcing her to drink and eat. Which she would just vomit back up. She would always feel someone wetting her face with a cool rag in a soothing manner.

One the fourth day Bella awoke to the sound of a woman humming a lullaby beside her. Her eyes flew open.

"Mama,"she said as she sat up in the bed. Realization hit her hard that her mother was dead. She sagged into the mattress as she laid back down.

"Aw,you are awake?"The woman who had been humming said as she got up from her seat by the window seal.

Bella looked over at the woman and sat back up. She overlooked the woman's appearance; she didn't look like a maid and wasn't dressed like one. Bella placed the woman in her forties.

"Where am I?Bella said as she sat back up.

"You are in Brookshire."

"How did I get here?"

"You were brought here by my brother. Lay down you need your strength."

"Thank you but I must be on my way. I have my sister-"

"Rest. You have been consumed by a fever for almost a week now."

"I was."Bella said as she tried to remember what happened before then.

"Yes," The woman said as she pulled the blanket back up.

"Thank you Lady-

"Victoria,"she said with a smile. Bella weakly smiled back. She couldn't help but notice that Victoria resembled somebody she knew. For the life of her she couldn't think of who that was.

"Have me met before?"

"No. This is your first time meeting me and the same for me. I am sorry but we have not met before," Victoria said as she patted Bella on the arm.

"You just remind me of someone."

"Rest now. I will get one of the maids to send you up some porridge." Victoria said before leaving.