Chapter 39

I'm in pain.

That's the first thought that crosses my mind when I wake up.

Followed by, where the hell is that sound coming from?

It's a shocking, breathtaking pain that courses from the top of my skull, winding through every sore tendon and muscle in my arms and legs, to the tips of my toes and back up again.

What the hell happened?

All I can recall is being at a fair with Hayden and my brother attacking him. Oh god, my brother. He's involved in this now. I remember Gabby being there, us coming to a motel, and me sneaking into Hayden's room to talk to him. Alcohol got involved. And then...what?

"Emmy," someone says from right beside me. Another pounding sound follows. "Ember, wake up."

When I move, it feels as though I'm in the process of being chopped in half and the blade is still making its way through my thighs. And when I finally open my eyes, I jump at the sight of Hayden lying in bed right next to me, shirtless, a new bruise twinkling on his throat.

"What the hell—" As I scramble away, another tremor of pain shoots through my legs, and I look down at the blood on my t-shirt—Hayden Cross' t-shirt— with absolute horror. Moments slowly come back: drinking like I wasn't going to wake up tomorrow, fighting over cigarettes, kissing Hayden.

No, no, no. That's impossible.

It's very hard to breathe. I open my mouth to inhale and a strangle cry gurgles out of my throat.

Hayden grabs my hands before I can do anything. Not that I would; I'm too shaken up, too confused to do anything. Struggling against his hold is impossible. He's too strong. I'm only at my lowest level of energy, so I swing my gaze directly at him, daring him to speak and confirm my thoughts.

"Nothing happened last night," Hayden breathes. "We were drunk but I wouldn't go that far."

The tightness in my chest subsides, but only a little. "Then what happened?" I flinch. "Why does everything hurt? Why am I in your t-shirt? Why do you have a hickey?" Tugging my hands out of his grip, I slowly lift the hem of the shirt up to see what it is that hurts so much, and choke when a large red gash glistens in the low light of Hayden's room.

Hayden coughs. "Um, while we were making out you—uh— knocked the bottle off the bed and it broke. Then you fell off the bed and landed in the glass."

My jaw drops. "Seriously?"

"I couldn't really take you to your room with Corry in there. He would've murdered me."

So he cleaned me up and replaced my bloodied clothes with his shirt? I'm at a loss for words. All I can do is stare at him with a dumbfounded expression. And the next thing I know, I'm laughing and throwing my arms around him.

Hayden stiffens against me. "What are you doing?"

"Giving you a hug, you jerk!" I laugh, tightening my hold. "I'm just relieved! Holy crap I am so freaking relieved you have no idea!"

"That you didn't sleep with me?"

"Yes!"

"Ouch."

I let go. "You know what I mean!"

He peers down at me, expressionless. "I'm afraid you're wrong."

* * *

The sky is a dull overcast with streaks of sunlight lacing through breaks in the dark clouds like golden ribbon. The air is thick from the recent rain and small rainbows of gasoline and rainwater pool at my feet across the concrete. As Hayden piles the last of our things into the car, I turn around to see Gabby standing at the railing outside of her room and she gives me a small wave.