Chapter 25

I race down the crowded hallway before school, shoes thumping hard against the freshly mopped floors, and I have to shift my weight carefully on each foot to stay balanced.

Where is he? Where could he be?

He wasn't in the cafeteria or the gym. He wasn't in the homeroom or by the football field.

People give me strange looks as I pass them. I must look a little crazy to be running around school at seven in the morning. Heck, I feel insane. But I don't care. With everything that has been happening, I need this. I need some control. I need a way to get even with him.

"Where are you?" I mutter to myself, sliding to a halt at a dead end. I hope he didn't decide to skip today. The one day I actually want to see Hayden Cross is the day he's nowhere in sight. Maybe he's in the office?

I'm right.

Hayden leans against the lockers next to Principal Miller's office, his head against the wall, eyes closed, and foot tapping to the rhythm of some song blasting on his headphones. The closer I get, the louder the drums of his music become, and soon, they match the erratic speed of my excited heart.

"Good morning sunshine!" I chirp, squeaking to a halt in front of him. Hayden's eyes snap open and his bewildered expression makes me smile.

But before Hayden can do or say anything, I push him against the lockers, pinning him to the wall with one arm pressed against his throat, and rip his iPhone right out of his hands. And just before he can grab me, I pluck the carton of cigarettes out of his fingers and make a mad dash down the hall.

"Catch me if you can sucker!"

"What the fuck, Ember!" Hayden bellows.

It's times like this that I'm glad Gabby forces me to run with her. Hayden is a lot faster, however, and with each second that passes, he's closer. But that's okay. We're not going far.

I make a sharp left down the Biology hallway, zigzagging around the massive carts of supplies that are parked outside of Mrs. Coleman's room. Hayden follows me with a loud string of insults and threats that involve curse words I didn't even know exist. I laugh and run up the Chemistry hallway that connects to the History hall. I need to get to the Art Room before Hayden catches me.

"Give me back my phone!"

"Never!"

"This isn't funny!"

"You're right! It's gut-busting and hilarious!"

"What the hell has gotten into you, Chance?"

"Nothing, Cross!"

The Art Room comes into sight, sending a surge of hope, happiness, and victory over me. It's the last room at the very end of the hallway. Just a couple of more feet and it's a touchdown. Something hard slams into my back and suddenly I'm airborne, gasping at the shock of hitting the floor so hard. Hayden's arm circles my waist and he rolls to the side to pull me on top of him. I throw my lesser body weight to the side and with enough momentum, manage to stay on the floor. We roll around on the ground, him fighting to get a hold of me while I struggle to get out of his way, all the while keeping his iPhone with me. People crowd around to watch the unusual scene.

"Give me my shit back!" he demands, grunting in pain.

I grit my teeth, wriggling out of his grasp, and crawl toward the art room. Hayden grabs my ankle and tugs me toward him. He pulls hard enough that my knee makes a popping sound I doubt isn't very good. I claw against the tiled floors, kicking my legs, and slide across the floor. "No freaking way!"