My Life as Duke Starr's Assistant...[Part 15]

My face felt hot, like it was burning. From underneath my eyelids, it looked as if I was in a bright, red room. It was so hot. Why was it so hot?

I opened my eyes. Sunlight was pouring through the window of the hotel room I was staying in. I blinked a few times and realized that I wasn't on the couch. It took me another few seconds before I realized that someone's arm was draped lightly around my waist, their torso pressed up against my back. I felt the soft breath of whoever it was on my neck.

I blinked again. I didn't remember sleeping with anyone last night. I wondered in confusion who it could be and then turned slightly to face the mystery person. When I realized who it was, I screamed, tumling off the side of the bed.

Duke had woken up, too, at the sound of my yell, and screamed as well, falling off the other side. We both looked at each other manically, staring at each other from opposite sides of the bed and breathing heavily.

"What the hell?!" I shouted.

"What did you do?!" he yelled at the same time.

"ME?!" I yelled.

"Yes you!" he replied, his eyes wide.

"I didn't do anything!" I shouted.

"Then how did we end up in the same bed?!" he exclaimed.

We took a moment to pause and try and remember the events of the night before. I calmed my nerves a little as I remembered how broken hearted Duke was and how he couldn't sleep. I had played with his hair until he fell asleep. I guess sometime during that I had fallen asleep as well.

I guess he realized this, too, and he visually relaxed a bit, loosening his tight grip on the sheets.

"We didn't....do anything did we?" he asked in a quiet, slow voice. I felt my heart speed up a bit.

"No! Of course not! I would have remembered. And neither of us was drunk," I replied.

"I was a little drunk," he admitted. I frowned.

"Well I wasn't. And I would have remembered. We didn't do anything," I said in an adamant voice.

I saw him let out a sigh of relief. He ran his hand through his hair, making it stick up slightly in different directions. Then he looked at me, a cocky expression forming on his face.

"I bet you wish we had done something, though," he said, smirking.

"Oh please. You wish," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Why would I wish?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow in an amused way.

"Please. I see the way you look at me," I said in an overly confident and girly voice. He laughed.

"Actually, I think that would be borderline inappropriate, seeing as your my assistant and what not," he told me. Now I smirked at him. We were still kneeling on opposite sides of the beds. The tense atmosphere had lifted, though, and we were joking around again.

"Usually when an employee sleeps with their boss, it means they want something," I said.

"You're not my boss. Technically, I'm your boss. So what do you want from me?" he asked.

"No, technically, Patrice is my boss. And trust me, I don't want anything from her," I answered. He laughed again, his blue eyes sparkling. We both grinned at each other from across the bed.

"You all right now?" I asked him after a moment. His smile faded a bit, but he nodded.

"Yeah. I'm fine," he answered. I gave him a sympathetic smile and stood up.