My Life as Duke Starr's Assistant...[Prologue]

"I'm sorry, but we're just going to have to let you go," Gabe Evans said.

"What?!" I cried, standing up from the dirty black canvas chair that numerous firees must have sat on.

"You have got to be kidding me. Just two days ago you told me I was the best employee in this company!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, but that was before our company was bought," Mr. Evans replied. I glared at him.

"I'm one of the most experienced workers here! I've been with this company for--" I began.

"A few years. And while I will admit that you're work has been extraordinary, you are much too young. You have so many opportunities ahead of you. You don't need to work for a small financial firm like this one to be successful," he interrupted. I wanted to pick up the stapler on the desk and shove some sharp pieces of metal into his forehead.

"You can't fire me," I said.

"We're firing all of the over-qualified employees," he told me.

"And that's supposed to make me feel better?" I asked.

"Valerie, please stop being so dramatic," Gabe said. "You know I hate to see you go, too," he said with a sly smile. I made a disgusted face at him. "But it's just not possible for you to work in this new firm. There are no managerial positions open," he continued. "We're just looking for some lower workers," he finished.

"You keep saying things but they're making me feel worse and worse. I can't believe this is happening," I mumbled.

"Well believe it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to fire Garret," he said, dismissing me. As I got up and walked angrily to the door, he said, "Your office has to be cleared out by the end of today. So get cracking!"

I slammed the door shut behind me and let out a frustrated sigh.

This was not how I intended for things to happen.