the End and the Beginning

I stand completely still as the chaos continues around me. My mind is taking things in slowly but not grasping it. Everything that's happened is being repeated in my head.

Someone is taking my wife.

Someone is taking another woman.

My pregnant wife was hit.

I am the only witness.

Another woman hit my wife.

It was an accident.

And then it repeats. I'm sure this is my subconscious taking over as my body moves on autopilot. My limbs, I can't feel them. My eyes I might not be seeing clearly. My ears aren't working correctly all I can hear is an accelerated thudding. My throat is dry my palms are sweaty. And I'm confused.

Someone took my wife.

Someone took the other woman.

My pregnant wife was hit.

I am the only witness.

This other woman hit my wife.

It was an accident.

••4 Years Earlier••

We stood in line at a grocery store. Her brownish blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail. She wore an army jacket and skinny jeans. Her feet were average inside a pair of plimsolls. I was buying a pack of beers and she was buying the Stuck in Love movie and sea salt caramel ice cream. It was an odd flavor but she was hot so I didn't care.

"Sea Salt ice cream, is it any good?"

She turned slightly, "It is actually. It's like dipping French fries in a vanilla and caramel ice cream."

"I can't say that I've ever tried it."

She smiled, a beautiful toothy smile, "You're missing out, it's really good."

"Hey, I'm Niall. But my fucked up friends call me Neil."

She smiled, "Hello Niall, My name is Tori and my fucked up friends call me Tori." We both laughed. She shook my hand and turned around. She was cute and as much as I enjoyed looking at her ass I wanted her number or even a date.

"What do you say to accompanying me and going and try it out?"

She smiled, "A date stranger?"

"I mean I think it's only right that you go with me. Being that you introduced it to me. You could show me how it's done." When I sensed her resistance I added, "I'm buying."

"Alright then. But getting Sea Salt Caramel ice cream is too serious for a first date." We laughed and she went on to say, "How about coffee instead?" She bit on the inside of her lip. "I'll drop my things off at home and meet you at the nearest Glen's Cafe."

"Close to my place or your place?"

"Close to this very store."

"Alright."

The clerk rung up her things and I paid very close attention as she pulled out her plastic card. The name read Tori Saunders. I admired her as she took her things, she glanced at me before starting for the door.

"I'll see you in a bit Tori."

She smiled, "Alright. See you then."