13: That Was That

James stopped just outside the office of the Big Boss to find Nadine seated on the sofa by the door, wringing her hands. He had just come from a photoshoot and didn't have an inkling on why Boss Vic had suddenly called for this meeting.

"Hey."

Nadine looked up and James leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek, noticing the scared look in her eyes.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, a little worried.

"James..." Nadine started.

Just then, the door to Boss Vic's room opened, and his secretary came out and saw them. "Ayan nandito na kayo pareho. Boss Vic is expecting you. Come in."

James took Nadine's hand and pulled her up, opened the door a little wider and led Nadine inside.

Veronique was also there, along with Stephanie, Viva's PR manager. His worry stepped up a notch. The last time he saw Stephanie was during that whole fiasco with Inah Evans. She had berated him for posting that Give me a break, would I really have sex in a public place status on Facebook; he admitted he got a little carried away then--to think someone else actually handles his Facebook account for him and he doesn't normally post there--but he just got a little too annoyed and needed to let it out.

Nadine and James sat on the chair opposite the boss' desk. To his surprise, Nadine reached out and took his hand.

"You probably all know why I called you two here," Boss Vic said.

"Uh, sorry, no, not really. I just came from a photoshoot and haven't had time to do anything else," James said. He always spoke out his mind in meetings like this. Boss Vic had always emphasized to them that they should always tell him what they really feel because, being in showbiz, their careers were intrinsically linked with their lives.

Boss Vic turned to Stephanie. "Go ahead."

"Let's start last week, when you, James, told the press that you two are together. Viva's phones have been off the hook the first few days, getting inquiries for endorsements for the both of you left and right. Not just any brands, too. Big ones. Ayala Land. Techno Marine. H&M. Coke even. Current endorsements also called to say that they'll be renewing."

Stephanie looked at Veronique, who nodded at her, urging her to continue.

"By end of the week, however, the clamor died down, partly because of some of the BTS pictures released by your bashers, wherein you were so obviously not talking to each other. In fact, some of the endorsements have already pulled out."

Veronique interrupted. "Don't know what came over you two, when Boss Vic specifically called you to tell you to keep up the facade. Good thing James has been posting photos on IG. Your loyal fans defended you."

Nadine squeezed his hand and he squeezed back, glancing at her.

Stephanie chimed in. "Alam niyo naman mga tao diba. Pag sinasabi niyong hindi kayo, pilit kayong paaaminin. Pag umamin naman kayo, pilit kayong paghihiwalayin."

Veronique held up her phone. "But this. This one Nadine. I can't believe you would go see your ex when you're supposedly in a relationship with James. Why would you do that?" James removed his hand from Nadine's to grab the phone.

It was her. It was really her and JC. At a coffeeshop somewhere, JC holding up 2 cups of coffee, leaning over to kiss Nadine. He didn't know what to think. Was this why she didn't want to be with him? Was she still hung up on her ex? How come she didn't tell him she met up with JC? So many questions ran through his mind and he needed answers. Now.