Chapter 14

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping, and a russling in the leaves. I yawned, and rolled over, facing out of the shelter. I couldn't see William anywhere, and he wasn't resting next to me. I rubbed my eyes sleepily, pushing stray hairs out of my face. Sitting up slowly, I glanced around hoping to catch a glimpse of him. It was useless, because he was nowehere to be seen.

   A fire was going, and food hung over it. I smiled to myself remembering last night. I stood up, pulling leaves out of my hair, and walked on over to the fire to check on breakfast. I hated how I always woke up with things tangled in my hair, and can't shower or anything to get it out. I found I was suddenly daydreaming about showers and baths.... I shook my head and went back to tending to breakfast.

   I heard more russling in the leaves, and scanned the clearing for the source. When I found nothing, I shook my head, but didn't dismiss it. I was sure I heard it.

    I saw William's small blade on the other side of the clearing, and went to pick it up. I wanted to hide it, to keep it safe, however when I held it in my hand, I could feel it's weight pressing into my palm. For it's size it was pretty heavy to lug around...

   Words pulled in my mind. I didn't understand them, but i felt the urge to say them. Holding the blade in my hand, I felt some sort of energy grasping the very core of my being, and I tried to push it out. I held the knife like a sword, and closed my eyes, feeling the flow of the energy, the push and pull, as I tried to take hold of the words in my head.

   "Soul sword, set up." I whispered, nodding my head. I opened my eyes, as I felt all the energy that had been in me, swirl out and around my arms. It pushed to the sword and I watched as it grew, fascinated by the feeling. In an instant it no longer felt heavy, but as light as a feather.

   I heard more leaves russle, and it felt louder to my ears. I turned to the direction it was coming from, as a man stepped out of the bushes, and looked at me with the sword. He had a look of shock on his face, and even though it was blurred, I could tell he was confused.

   I pointed the knife at him. I knew it wasn't William, and I didn't know what other beasts were out there looking for my blood.

   "Who are you?" I demanded. I wasn't going to stand down. If this was a beast, I'd kill it like William did to the others.

   "I was looking for my friend. He was with a girl, like yourself, and he was muscled as well as tall. Have you seen him?" He asked, clearly not afraid of me. Instead he seemed fascinated by me.

   I looked at him for a second, and realized he could be talking about William. "What's it to you?"

  "Well you seem to be holding his sword." He said, gesturing with his chin to the blade in my hand.

  I smiled, and waved it in his face. I didn't trust him, so I thought it would be best to play dumb for a bit. "Is it his?"

   He nodded, percing his lips. "So you haven't seen him, then?"

  "Why do you want to know so bad?" I asked.

   "Well, you're in pajama bottoms, you have his sword, and you're wearing his shirt. I would like to know what's going on here." He said, shaking his head, like he was trying to clear it.

   I smiled wider. "This is his shirt?" I was enjoying myself. It was amusing to tease him, because he honestly didn't notice the sarcasm the dripped from every word.

  He raised an eyebrow. "I have a feeling you know more than what you're letting up."

  I giggled. I recognised this man instantly. "Hey there Vj." I said dropping the sword to my side. I leaned on it, and crossed my ankles.

  His face proved me right. He let out a sigh. "How'd you know?"

  "Well, you're looking for William, aren't you? Plus you look like.... well, you, even though you're blurred." I said, laughing.

   "Sorry, pumpkin. I'm not as experienced as William with my Secrecy." He winked at me. I winced at the nickname, remembering more than I wished.

     I let the sword fall to the ground, and sat beside it with my legs crossed. I sighed and looked up at Vj.

   "Don't call me pumpkin, please , and no I don't know where William went." I said. I ran a hand through my tousled hair, feeling a little upset.

   Vj sat down in front of me, crossing his blurred legs as well. "You don't like me calling you Pumpkin?" He asked me.

   I looked him in the eyes, and crossed my arms in front of me. "Yes, I don't like you calling me pumpkin. My Father used to call me that."

   His smile faded. "Why is it such a bad thing?"

   "We should be looking for William." I said standing up, taking the knife with me, and walking into the brush.

   Vj had easily kept up with my pace, and was walking by my side, his hands in his pockets. He was good looking, and his messy black hairdo, baggy jeans and rocker sweatshirt gave him that bad boy look, however he seemed so tamed and mature. William had the good guy look, but had the personality of a jerk. They were complete opposites, and seemed to be pretty good friends.

   Vj stopped suddenly. I looked up at him, my eyes surely letting him know of my confusion, and he cocked his head a little. It was then that I heard the growls and snorts. I heard heavy panting, and leaves crackling.

   There was many loud bangs and grunts of pain coming from directly in front of us. Vj flung me onto his back, before taking off towards the noises. It felt weird and very familiar to be sitting on his wrists like this and leaning into his back, while running through the forest.

   The noises grew louder, and suddenly we broke through into a clearing where William and a faceless man battled. William was clutching his arm, and trying to dodge the beast's attacks. He hadn't had his weapon, and I realized I held it in my hand. Vj put me down, and pulled out his own dagger. He ran to help his friend, as I stood frozen holding William's only defense.

   I watched as Vj lounged for the beast who had pinned William down, now. The faceless man turned in time to peirce Vj right through his very middle and out the other side. My mouth dropped, as I tried to yell out to him, but nothing came. I stood helpless at the far end of the clearing, as Vj fell to his knees.

   His back was to me, and I could see the grey had already begun to spread through his core. William had managed to get to his feet, but the faceless man was coming at him now.

It screamed, or more like gurgled out some sentences. I only understood "Give me her blood!" because it was the same line that was used by the last beast William fought. It was getting closer to him now, and Vj was on the ground in pain, as his torso slowly began to lose colour.

I gripped the peice of metal in my hand tighter, letting the words tug in my mind. I didn't know how to use it all too well, but I had to do something or else we'd all die...

  Hey! I hope you like it!  This is chapter 14, y'all! :) What do you guys think of Vj? I know he had been introduced a while back, but you get to see more of him, now :D

   I apologize for the gruesome mental picture of the beast getting Vj... That wasn't very nice of me. :( I am also very sorry, but I won't be uploading the next chapter for a while... School is starting and I have to get ready :P I know, I'm leaving you hanging... but I promise that I'll upload the next part as soon as I can, so you can know what happens to William, Adrianna and Vj...

   Thanks for reading :) I love yous!

  -Shinefromthesoul