Chapter 9

Unknown POV

    I danced among the tress and branches, my mind quickening, but it was becoming harder to concentrate and keep my Secrecy out. I couldn’t let her know who I was. I picked up speed a bit more, feeling my way through the trunks and their arms. With the increase in velocity, I couldn’t hold back a chuckle of delight that escaped from my lips. I was enjoying myself, and almost forgot about the shaken girl on my back.

    I slowed a bit, fore I didn’t want to scare the girl anymore.

    “Are you alright?” I asked her.

    She didn’t answer.

    “Are you alright?” I asked again.

    I then heard her deep and rythmic breathing and knew she had fallen asleep.How she could sleep after almost being choked to death and seeing such a sight as the beast that attacked, I couldn’t even begin to fathom.

    We ran for a couple of hours, the sun crawling across the sky, while she slept. I was afraid that the Jibes would find her. I don’t understand why they would go after her, but it was my assignement to protect her.

    The Jaebryel that had attacked her was a Foramenoculy. It is a disgusting beast that can shift it’s appearance slightly to look like a human; it’s tail forming it’s mangled hand. It has one eye, however, but during it’s transformation, the three slits that it sees through closes, making it look like a faceless human.

    I finally slowed to set up camp for a while, and I sat the sleeping form of the black haired girl on a pile of leaves between two roots. I quickly went to work on setting up some shelter and finding food.

    I found some old logs, branches, and leaves, then began to set up a small overhang to keep us dry.

    I heard a russling and turned to see Adrianna slowly stretch and yawn.

    Her electric blue eyes searched the site and eventually met with mine. I felt a little uncomfortable under her curious gaze so I decided to break the silence.

    “So, you’re awake.” It wasn’t a question.

    “Yeah,” she squeeked, then cleared her throat. “Where are we?”

    She stood up slowly, dusting herself off. I stared at her, and realized she was in her Pajamas. I looked away, not sure if she cared or not. She came and sat next to me.

    I remembered I hadn’t answered her question and said “Somewhere where no monsters will find you.”

    She cringed at my flat monotoned voice.  She looked me in the face, scrutinizing me as best as she could. I felt my Secrecy waver under my uncertainty, but it stayed in place.

    “Who are you?” She asked me.

    I continued pulling on the twigs, bending them and making them hold up and keep the shelter together.

    “Who are you?” She asked me again a little impatient now.

    I ignored her again and went on the other side of the overhang and did the same thing with the twigs and branches.

    “Fine.” She stood, then stomped off into the woods.

    “Where do you think you’re going?” I called after her.

    “HOME!” She yelled at me.

    I rolled my eyes. She’ll be back, I thought. I went back to working on the shelter, not even bothering to go and get her.

Adrianna's POV  

  I walked in a straight line through the forest towards what I thought was home. I didn’t exactly know where we were or how far away from home we were, but I didn’t particularly care.

   “What’s his problem?!” I asked the forest. “I just want to know who the hell this guy is!”

    I walked throught the forest, tripping, and falling, then dusting myself off and continuing on. I eventually stopped, uncertain of where I was. I saw a clearing of tress up ahead, one that’s big enough to walk around in a set up an encampment, and yet small enough to conceal whoever camps there.

    I walked through the brush and leaves, then stopped short. I was filled with disbelief and disappointement.

    I was back at the camp with the blurred man.

    “You’re back.” He said, not bothering to even look at me.

   “Yeah.” I said, staring at him.

    “Good. Then maybe you can come and finish the overhang.” He said getting up.

    “And where are you going?” I asked.

    “To find food.” He turned and gave me a small smile. “You hungry?”

    I was a little shocked. He went from being cold and rude to kind and caring. “Uh, yeah. A little.”

    He ran out of the clearing, kicking up dirt as he went. I sat down and went to work on the shelter we’d be sharing for only god knows how long.