Part 5 - The Therapy

(Period of time: 17th of Sept - 20th of Sept)

The tumor was out, which was really good, but I still had cancer. I was afraid that I had to do a chemo, but the doctor said that right now it doesn't look like it. But I had to do a radio-iodine therapy. He explained to me that I had to swallow a pill that send out nuclear rays to destroy the cancer that was still inside of me.  

One week before the therapy I had to do many tests and swallow a test pill, to check if there were any side effects.

One week later I went to the hospital. There was a special nuclear ward where only patients where allowed who had to do that therapy. I was the only one at that time. It was a very small ward with only three rooms; two double rooms and one single room. Since I was the only one in the whole ward I got the single room.  

I putted my clothes in the closet and got ready to swallow the pill. The doctor came in with a tray on which he had a big lead test tube and a cup of water. I couldn't see the pill because of all that lead around the test tube and when he said that I should put the glass to my mouth and quickly swallow the pill I was scared. Shortly before the pill entered my mouth I could see that it was neon yellow with a black radioactive sign on it. I took the pill and the doctor explained to me that I now had to drink 4-5 liters of water a day to get the radiation out of my body as fast as possible. 

I got locked in in the ward. Nobody was allowed to visit me and even the nurses only came in to bring me food. I even had to measure my blood pressure by myself and write it on a paper and leave it outside my room. Every time they brought me food I could hear a nurse taking the paper with her.  

Drinking 4 to 5 liters a day was very hard. I only managed to drink 4, even though the doctor said that 5 would be much better. So basically the only thing that I did in the hospital was drinking and watching TV. Even the water was limited. They gave me shower coins which I had to insert before I could shower. They explained to me that every bit of water that came in contact with me had to be stored for 8 month until they could lead it to the normal sanitation.  

One evening a male nurse opened my door and told me that he had night shift for today. Since he was the only human I've seen lately I wanted to try out what would happen if I came closer. So I stood up from my bed and made one step towards him. He immediately stepped back. There was always a constant space between us. That was when I realized that the radiation was actually dangerous. Before that I didn't think about it that much, because I didn't feel different. Everything was like it was before.  

On my last day I suddenly heard the sounds of a marching band and I looked out of the window. And there they were: many marching bands on their way to the opening of the Oktoberfest. This really lighted up my boring day.  

Luckily I was allowed to leave the hospital three days after I started the therapy. The doctors were happy how it had worked out and told me that the cancer should totally be destroyed. 

I was happy about that but I was still very weak and felt sick because of all that water I had to drink. I wasn't used to that. 

I was happy to be at home again and texted my friends. One of them visited me the next day. But one thing that really bothered me was that I STILL couldn't talk properly, even though the nurse said it would go away...

And as I said: Once you had cancer there will always be examinations, medical ultrasonics, etc..... My journey wasn't over yet.