Chapter Seven | 1977 | Time

Chapter Seven

1977

Time

Dusk was settling over the Hogwarts grounds as Lily Evans led the gaggle of first years through the castle, James Potter watching her from the back, were he was talking to a bunch of the boys. He watched with a smirk as Lily climbed the stairs, pointing out paintings and making warnings-her arse was the best he'd ever seen, especially when she didn't know he was looking.

"Five points from Gryffindor Mr. Potter," Professor McGonagall said curtly "Kindly take your eyes off Ms. Evan's behind, or I'll add on two detentions."

James sighed "Alright Professor." The old hag! He liked McGonagall fine, but she had the keen eyes of a cat. Tearing his eyes from Evan's arse, he instead directed it to her face, which was just as breathtaking, even more so. Her porcelain white skin was flawless, not a blemish or freckle to be seen. Thick red hair framed her heart shaped face, and the emerald green eyes that so often glared at him made his knees weak.

"James," she called back "What's the password again?"

The password? Oh bugger... "Umm, snarled gum root?"

"Thanks," Lily told the Fat Lady and she let them in, the first years flowing in around them like water. It was January 5th, and everyone had returned to Hogwarts after the Christmas break. James had been planning to talk to Lily as soon as they had dropped off the first years, but the rest of their classmates soon joined them in the common room, and it was impossible to reach her after her friends had enveloped her in a circle of girl talk.

"Prongs!" Remus Lupin, one of James's best friends, called across the common room. Peter Pettigrew followed him loyally-sort of like an overgrown puppy- biting his fingernails and stuffing a pastry into his mouth at the same time.

"Hey Moony, Wormtail." He said glumly, staring across the room at the splash of bright red hair he would love to run his fingers through. "Where's Padfoot?"

Remus shrugged "Probably in a broom closet. Last I saw of him he was walking a Ravenclaw to her dorm."

James frowned "Of course, and we could have shared!"

Remus rolled his eyes "Really James?"

He shrugged "If I can't have Evans I may as well have a hot Ravenclaw."

"That's one way of looking at it, and man, you missed something good mate!" Sirius Black crowed, sliding into the round window seat beside James. "Evans is pretty and all, but I don't think she would be as good as...um...what was her name Mooney?"

"Cleo Nixon," Remus sighed "Do you at least try to remember their names Padfoot?"

"You want my honest answer?"

"Not anymore."

"I'll give it to you anyway; no. But," Sirius grinned "I remember everything else."

"Ugh, Sirius. Really?" Remus moaned "Think of those poor girls you...you know...then leave in the broom closet-you must have broken half the hearts in Hogwarts by now."