Prologue | 1981

GLIMPSE

James & Lily

PROLOGUE

1981

    The quiet clink of dishes being washed was one of the many night time sounds of Potter house, along with lullaby’s and sometimes soft, earnest voices.

On Hallows Eve, James and Lily Potter argued over a long ago worn topic while they did the dishes. Holding the drying towel, James stared down at the white plates that had been a wedding gift from his cousins.

“I don’t know Lily,” he said again “It seems risky, that’s all.”

Green eyes blazing, Lily took her soapy hands out of the water and dried them off, leaning against the counter. Her hands rested on her lower stomach, and she smiled as the smallest flutter rose beneath her fingertips.

“I want Severus to be the Godfather, James.” Her voice was soft, but her husband heard the underlying tone of warning “I want to make peace, to have him know that I still care for him – he was my friend for a very long time.”

Shifting uneasily, he moved forward and kneeled before her, placing a light kiss to the spot where his second child slowly grew.

“Okay.” He said quietly, resting his forehead against her abdomen.

“Okay?” she beamed down at him, running her fingers through his hair – still messy after all these years. “Thank you, James.”

Standing, he pulled her close. To this day just touching her could make him feel better “This is for you, Lily – to make you happy. And if you believe he can teach our daughter something, be someone she can depend on…then I would be honoured if he were Charlotte’s Godfather.”

“So you’re giving in on the name, too?” she asked, kissing him quickly “I know you liked Katherine and Olivia…but I want her to be named for someone new, not someone past – no matter how much we love them.”

He removed the happy tears from her cheek with his thumb “I loved both our mothers, but I think she needs a name of someone we don’t know, like you said. She can be her own person.”

“I love you,” she whispered, leaning her head against his chest “Honestly I do, so, so much.”

“I love you, too.” He said softly, stroking her hair gently “And Lily –”

A soft click interrupted his sentence, and they froze. It was the sound of the front gate opening, and in seconds they were in motion.

“Lily, take Harry and go.” Said James, pulling out his wand “Go, Lily! It’s him, run – I’ll hold him off!”

“James-”

Kissing her suddenly, he smiled down at her, seeing fresh tears that were definitely not happy “Remember Lily, all of it – remember that day on the train when we first met?”

She nodded, clinging to him “Yes, but James -”

“Hold on to that.” He whispered, closing his eyes briefly as he leaned his forehead against hers “I love you, Lily – I love our son. Just remember that, remember the days we had together – I’ll see you at Grimmauld Place.”

“I love you.” She whispered, heading for the back stairs. “James -”

“Thanks for saying yes, Evans.” He said, smiling at her like he had all those years ago before dashing out of the room.

Without looking back, Lily ran up the stairs, thinking back to that first day on the train, just over ten years ago.

A/N: Some of you may have read my one-shot 'Kissing Behind the Clock' which is about James and Lily in their sixth year I think, I forget. Anyway, LOADS of people have asked me to make a longer story from it and...yeah, here it is. It's not long, only about 12 or 13 parts. Anyway, here it is and I hope you liked it!

I cried a little...

I'd love to know what you think, so please tell me!

Rose<3