Chapter 1.

Never was I supposed to wake up in the morning to an empty bed, not knowing where my husband was, but I can deal with it.

I mean I have been for almost 12 years worth of nights that we've lived together.

The only thing that had been going good recently is my relationship with my children, my social life, and my job.

My name is Brean Kaliyah Thomas-Banks. I'm 32 and have one set of 8 year old twins, Brookyln Jiselle, and Bryson Jamarie. Their my life, and bring me an everyday joy.

Along with my children, their father Roland "Rock" Banks, is the love of my life. The funniest, most loving, most attentive, and most intelligent man that I know.

Not to mention the love that we share is apart of the things that keep me alive on a daily basis.

We met when I was 15 and he 17. I'm originally from Chicago, but on a summer trip to visit family, when I saw him, my teenage hormones went raging. The only man that I had ever been with, Roland most definitely knows me well, at times better than I know myself.

Now, we own a 3 floor brownstone, on a populous urban block in Harlem, New York. It was a decision to move back that I made for my career, which eventually benefited for our relationship as well in the end.

I work at Riley&Madison Lawfirm. A multi-faceted law firm that's serves family, child, tax, business, criminal, public, civil, and corporate cases. When I started as just a legal assistant, I was anxious to dig my hands into every facet. Now I am a Senior Associate in the Child and Family division, utilizing my PhD in Clinical Adolescent Psychology from Prarie View. Through the years, I've also worked as a social worker for NYDCFS.

I covered myself in the brown silk bed sheet and walked across a French rug, which was plotted under every piece of furniture in our bedroom. My perfectly polished toes absorbed the chill of the Italian tile floor in the in-suite bathroom of the master bedroom.

I looked in the mirror, over the the double sink counter. Catching my eye, the simple rose gold wedding band, studded with multiple diamonds at the top, and the 8 karat princess cut, rose gold diamond ring, with a diamond studded band that embraced my left hand.

I smiled reminiscing of our wedding. The chocolate and gold decor that Roland picked. My ivory Riki Dilal, mermaid gown, still drapes at the back of my walk in closet.

I played in my extremely curly brown hair that my African American, and Cherokee mother gave me, before turning the shower on 'hell', as Ro' would say.

I walked back into my bedroom, picking out a navy blue asymmetrical blazer with a white v-neck camisole under. I pulled out a navy blue midi skirt and nude Dolce and Gabana stilettos, with flower petals that embellished the front of the shoes.

Turning on my heels, I grabbed my robe, walking toward the bathroom once again and dropping the robe before stepping inside.

As I washed my body with a new fragrance, I heard the front door slam closed, followed by male voices. I recognized my husband among his other friends that worked with him.

As I quickened my washing pace, my bedroom door opened, followed by the glass shower door. "Hurry up and get out of the shower Ma." Ro' spoke before kissing me, then sliding the shower door back. I stepped under the water and allowed my curly hair to cling together under the water.

I dried off after, and rang out my soaked hair before putting on my clothes. Slightly, I rolled up my blazer sleeves, due to the unexpected and early New York warmth.

I grabbed my briefcase and purse before coming down the stairs, to see Freddy and Gerome on the couch next to Ro'.

"Are the kids woke?" I asked him, looking at the time. "I don't know, but I know who is." He said, coming towards me and kissing my forehead, pulling back to gesture towards not so Lil-Ro'. "Baby, stop. You didn't wake them up?" I asked him smiling and  stressing while sitting down my bags, and trying to tie up my shoes.