Chapter 9

“That’s the last one,” Mr. Maur said as he hauled the last piece of laboratory equipment into the bunker through the complex network of underground tunnels. “Now for the rest of the house.” Everybody groaned. My parents and I were so sore from lifting dozens of gadgets and the such through the opening in the floor, and the Maurs were probably exhausted from trekking miles at a time just to transport a couple of items.

                “You should really install some lights in that tunnel,” Maxmillion said, poking his head out from the opening. “It’s kind of hard to carry a load of stuff while shining a flashlight in front of you.”

                “I’ll get back to you on that,” I said, hopping into the tunnel to help since I didn’t have enough muscle to continue lifting. The simple-minded police wouldn’t be investigating the Maurs’ house until tomorrow, because Libra still insisted that it was a kitchen fire rather than arson. Unfortunately, the Maurs had to destroy their supercomputer, but not before recording any important information from it.

                At long last, every piece of evidence was removed from the Maur house, and everybody collapsed in exhaustion. We’re done for now. Next, we would have to get everything arranged in the bunker, and eventually begin to search for a new place for the Maurs to live. Nobody was really in the mood to do that, though.

                I was perched on the wing of the jet next to Maxmillion. “Are you aware that Tarshay knows everything?” I asked him. He sat up suddenly.

                “What? How much?”

                “Everything from kidnapping Libra to me trying to take over the school.”

                “Tarshay can’t be trusted. Why wouldn’t she tell anybody? It’s not like she owes you anything.”

                “But get this,” I said. “She wants to help me.”

                Maxmillion cracked up when I said this. However, he stopped when he caught site of my expressionless face. “Wait… Are you serious? Why would she want to help you take over the school?”

                “Because she hates it for holding her back so many times.”

                “Well, that makes sense.”

                “I’m not going to let her, though.” I thought of Tarshay’s loud mouth, irritating personality, and frequent wardrobe malfunctions. “I’m just going to make her think I’m considering it so that she doesn’t spill our secret.”

                “Well, she’s definitely stupid enough to fall for it.”

*             *             *

                Dear Principal Ferrall,