Chapter 8

“DECEMBER DEVEAUX!” Acacia screamed from the living room. Gulp. This was what I was afraid of. Reluctantly, I abandoned my homework and dragged my feet downstairs. Just as I’d suspected, Bartholomew and Acacia were seated on the sofa in front of the television, which was showing the news. They both gave me piercing glares as I entered.

“Would you mind telling us what this is all about?” Acacia crossed her arms. Sure enough, the news was showing the story of how an Oligarchy house was set on fire after the young girl who lived there was supposedly kidnapped. Witnesses reported hearing screaming from the house just before it was engulfed in flames, although no bodies were discovered inside. Boy, we were so lucky that nobody saw us break the window.

                “Um,” I searched for the right words, “I got a new person to join my army?” Bartholomew did a face palm.

                “December, do you even know what you’re doing?” he asked.

                “What do you mean?”

                “I mean, how did you get the girl to help you?” And so I told them the story of how Maxmillion and I were stalking her, and then how we kidnapped her and threatened to kill her brother. Bartholomew sighed. “Look. You have to make sure that your subjects have a bad streak. A will to do evil. Now, all she is to you is a tool. Unless she wants to help you, she’s useless.” I nodded I should have thought this through a bit better.

                “Well, what am I supposed to do now? I have her locked in the basement.”

                “You need to let her go, or else this whole thing will blow up in your face.”

                Acacia joined in. “And be more careful next time! You would have been in so much trouble if you were caught.”

                “Yes, mother.”

                “Don’t call me that,” she scolded.

                I once again rode the elevator back to the bunker, where Maxmillion was making sure that Libra didn’t get into any trouble. “Come here,” I said to her. She obeyed immediately, but with hatred in her brown eyes.

                “What?” she hissed.

                “You can leave.”

                The hatred turned to disbelief. “What- what do you mean? You’re letting me go?”

                “Yes. You’re no use to us if you don’t have the will to help us.”

                “Thank you,” she said, and then chuckled. “But just wait until I tell the fuzz about this.”