Chapter 14: He's Still a Bit Irritating

We actually hung about with Lee a lot during school throughout the next week. She was interesting to say the least; a strange mix of sarcastic and optimistic, kinda of like Jay and I mashed together. And by the next Friday, she had somehow managed to rope Lewis into sitting with us at lunch (highly likely she promised him a date) who, all in all, turned out to not be as much of a jerk as I'd originally given him credit for.

He was still a bit annoying though.

"Ugh, do I have to?" Lewis whined, violently dragging out a plastic chair for Lee to sit on. Sticking her tongue out in a rather childish gesture, she completely ignored his gentlemanliness and sat on the wobbly green chair beside me.

"Yup. Absolutely. You're redeeming yourself, remember?"

"Um... what's going on?" That was Jay. He was still a little shy around Lee and Lewis sometimes, and while it was kind of cute, I was also secretly incredibly happy that I was the only one who could get him to talk properly.

"Lewis here has something to say!" Lee announced happily, munching on a mushy flapjack, the squishy oats obviously from the canteen. I shuddered. Personally, I wouldn't touch the school baking with a barge pole, but hey. If Lee wanted to risk her life for the sake of a few measly flapjacks she could be my guest.

"Something you'll want to hear Ash," she added, smirking slightly. I raised an eyebrow sceptically.

"What the hell could Lewis possibly say that I would 'want to hear'?" I asked. "No offense," I added, sending a small glance in Lewis's flustered direction. "Actually, offense intended. You're a prick."

Just because I knew that he actually wasn't as bad as I'd originally pegged him didn't mean I'd forgiven him. Not by a long shot.

"See!" he protested, jabbing Lee on the shoulder. "He hates me! So why should I do it!?"

Lee gritted her teeth together. "Because it's the perfect chance to prove him wrong and prove to me you're not a complete and utter douche. Now hop to it."

I let out a sharp bark of laughter.  "You're amazing Lee."

I didn't miss the faint blush she tried to hide behind her mane of auburn-ish hair, or the death glare Lewis was shooting me. I bit my lip, trying not to laugh. Lewis's growing feelings for Lee were totally obvious to everyone but Lee herself. And now he was getting jealous, like a small puppy who felt his owner wasn't paying him enough attention. He needn't have worried – I didn't swing that way.

Not that he knew that, of course.

"Fine." He sighed deeply, and turned to face the wall, a tell-tale blush creeping up the back of his neck. "I'm... sorry."

"I can't hear you," called Lee, in a sickeningly sweet singsong voice. "Say it louder."

Lewis visibly cringed. "I'm... sorry. For being a total arsehole. You didn't deserve all the shit I threw at you. So... sorry."

"And...?" Lee prompted, grinning as though she'd just brought a puppy back to life. Which, you know, was actually more likely than what Lewis said next.

"And you're not that shite at football Ash," he amended, grinding his teeth together with an audible crunch. I snorted in a rather unattractive manner and Jay hid an amused smile.

"Good boy," praised Lee, hauling his chair back to the table so I could glimpse his satisfyingly mortified face.

"Well, as much as I appreciate the gesture," I drawled, fighting the amusement threatening to bubble through in my voice. "But you don't have to lie. I'm shite at football and I know it."