Chapter 13: The Party

Aside from my sheer lack of athletic ability, there were many contributing factors as to why I didn't attend sporting events to 'support the school and my fellow students'. The first was the overly perky cheerleaders, typically pink and glittery girls; they were often spotted in packs with their hair ironed straight. While these beasts may look friendly at first glance, they were often terrifyingly confident compared to a snarky little git such as myself. Although this snarling, intimidating exterior was all for show... They generally tended to be complete and utter bimbos most of the time. And they were far too jumpy and excitable for my liking. Anyone that happy should be shot.

And although most guys felt that the short skirts and skimpy low-cut tops weren't exactly an eyesore, I for one would have much preferred to be squished up against Jay on the sofa over squished up against a random chick's backside.

I was most definitely gay.

As soon as we entered the stadium, a programme listing all the events and competitors was thrust under our noses by a group of giggling underclassmen. My mum took one, chattering excitedly, while I delicately plucked one from a speckled girl's grasp, my expression indifferent. A group of scantily-clad cheerleaders snatched Jay into their clutches as soon as they spotted his lean figure, dragging him towards the changing rooms while I hid a smirk with my hand. He looked completely and utterly terrified.

My mum and dad headed straight up to the seating area reserved for parents on the top tier of the metal benches, while I wondered in the opposite direction towards the student seating. The family seats were obviously better; being on the top tier they had the best view and large flapping canopies in the school ties colours blue, white and grey shielded them from any torrential weather. But I didn't particularly fancy spending the next few hours standing next to my whooping parents...

It wasn't because their constant cheering –despite no events actually having started–. Sure, that was embarrassing, but I could deal with that. Hell, if it came to it I'd probably be up there clapping and screaming with them. It was more because I didn't want to... ruin it. They looked so happy here, so at home, the wide tell-tale grins dominating their faces showing that they were obviously reliving their high school glory days. And they were so proud to have Jay to support, the perfect tri-fucking-athlete who (according to the programme) was going to compete in the hundred meter sprint, the sixty meter hurdles, and the five-hundred meter relay race.

And I couldn't help but feel like I was a tiny bit of a disappointment.

So I opted for the student seating instead. I'd get a clear enough view of the field anyway, provided I stuck to the top two rows. Student seating was organised into three areas – two top rows (the best seats), two middle rows (still semi-decent if a little crushed), and a strip of ground only separated from the field by a flimsy fence (a manic free-for-all were the best pushers and shovers came out on top. Quite literally in some of the more violent stampedes we'd had).

However as I shoved my way through the swarm of sweaty teenagers, I began to rethink my plan. Swearing under my breath, I began weaving (shoving) through the crowd, desperately trying to reach the metal gates to the seating before it shut.

No such luck. Just as I reached out a feeble hand to pry open the gate, it slammed shut and clicked locked. I scowled. I really, really didn't want to stand on that ridiculous patch of concrete they used as an excuse for a spectators' ground.

But it was for Jay.

I groaned. But I squeezed in through the gap in the side of the fence all the same, immersing myself in a sea of stomping, whistling teens.

A second reason why I hated attending school events – the crowds. I stood awkwardly, craning my neck just to see the pitch and tried my damn hardest not to get crushed. Not an easy feat amongst that lot, I can tell you. Still scowling, I stood up on my tiptoes slightly, feeling like a prize idiot as I hopped from foot to foot in a bid for a better view.