The First Day

The alarm clock rang, but I was already up. I had so much nervous energy, and now I was using that energy to doubt my original outfit today. I wasn't usually this crazy, but the first day of school, to be honest, scared me. I mean, it could be worse, at least I had friends, but high school here, even though I was a junior, just seemed so, I don't know, different.

My original outfit was some simple shorts and a flowy top with my Converse, but I wasn't as sure.

Will Adrian like it? I thought.

Wait.

When did Adrian come into this?

My phone buzzed on the nightstand, saying I had a message from Blake. It was a group message when I opened it, and the replies were a chorus of yes's.

I went with the outfit, applied my favorite red lipstick, added some gel in my curls because the August humidity still hadn't disappeared, and went downstairs.

"Good morning, my little 11th grader! I made waffles!" My mom hugged me.

"Did you really?" I was too nervous to eat anything.

"Not really." She laughed. "I figured you would be too nervous to eat them." I get a glass of orange juice and check my bag.

Schedule? Check. Student ID? Check. Money? Check. Phone? Check.

"Good luck." My mom hugged me and kissed me on the cheek.

"Thanks." I popped in my earbuds and started walking to school.

I stopped at Caitlin's house, because we were going to walk together. She came out in a minute.

"Hey Faith! Sorry I'm late...I overslept."

"No worries. You got everything?"

"Let me see..." She rummaged through her bag. "Damn, I forgot my camera." She ran back into her house and returned with her camera around her neck.

When we arrived, students crowded the front of the school. We immediately found Blake.

"Hey ladies! Are you ready for junior year, the most amazing thing ever?"

"NO." We both responded. Blake rolled his eyes. Veronica and Betty caught up with us, and we all looked at each others schedules.

"Where are the boys?" Betty asked.

"Well, they went with Cameron to say hi to Esmie." I looked for Adrian, then I spotted them. Cameron was talking to who I assumed to be Esmie, or at least trying to, because she barely responded. She had two very similar looking girls next to her, which I assumed to be her following. They tried to occupy as much of Gavin's and Adrian's attention as possible. I didn't even notice Fae creep up next to me.

"Who are they?" I asked her.

"Well, Sarah is the one throwing herself at Adrian, and Dylan is obsessed with Gavin." I looked again, and Adrian and Gavin looked anything but happy.

"It's really..."

"Pathetic?"

"Definitely." I agreed. The boys eventually escaped Esmie's following and made their way to us.

"You like nice, Faith." He said, after saying hello to everyone. I blushed.

"I, uh, thanks, um, you too." He laughed.

"You're cute when you're embarrassed." I giggled. Blake must had seen my embarrassment and came to my rescue. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Caitlin and Gavin talking. The bell rung and we all started to file inside to our lockers.