Chapter Ten - Into the Frying Pan

• Dedicated to Drew Jacques, for the inspiration for the food

Sameeca was in a very bad mood. In the past twelve hours she'd been sea sick, shipwrecked, chased by a lunatic on a bear, chased by lunatics on horseback, fallen in a hole, been terrorized by a badger and now had some strange man, with pointy ears, telling her that she had to go with him to another cruddy castle on top of a bloody mountain, hundreds of miles away. Well she wasn't going to have ANY of it they could stuff it for all she cared! Sameeca had thrown herself at the bottom of a tree, crossed her arms, folded her legs and refused to move. She was not going anywhere until she woke up from this horrendous nightmare, thank you very much.

That had been three hours ago and it was raining now. Sameeca was beginning to think that this wasn't a dream. If it was, what had she done to deserve this? She must have been really cruel to herself when she was younger. Sameeca shivered and blew a raindrop off her nose, she was absolutely soaked. Who knew the subconscious could be so damp. Oh what she would give to be in her old room, wrapped in a duvet with a proper mattress, not one that was made of straw and twitched every few minutes. She'd have given her right arm then for a towel, or a hair drier or even a hot water bottle. Curse this wet place!

A soft melodious voice spoke from beside the tree, startling the poor redhead from her sulkiness with a squeal.

"Sameeca-" The insufferable tone declared it to be Lethanas, the blond one.          

"Bugger off." Sameeca snapped.

"Are you not done pouting yet? It is urgent that we talk, you must come with me!" 

A branch took this moment to dump its watery contents down Sameeca's back. Her glare deepened.

"What makes you think I'd go anywhere with you!"

Lethanas' mind reverted back to something Aramon had told him at the camp, if all things went pear shaped. Appeal to her home comforts. Bribe her. Lethanas tried again;

"I have shelter."

"You have my attention." Sameeca sniffed.

"There's a fire"

"You have my undivided attention."

"I also have food, hot food."

"Sold. Take me to your leader!" Sameeca cried, struggling to her feet.

"I am the leader."

"WELL LEAD ON THEN!"

~*~

Lord Vaskar stood in the great hall once more. He was alone for the moment as it was early dawn, and he was almost hidden in the gloom. DeKramarr flung the doors open loudly, the deep boom echoing up through the vaulted ceiling. Lord Vaskar did not need to look at him to know that his soldier was angry, just like he already knew about his warriors defeat. Vaskar turned in a whirl of robes, his hood thrown back revealing his blue wrinkled skin taut against skeletal features. Thin tendrils of hair passed across his face before settling back into their lanky hairstyle. His eyes blazed scarlet.

"You have failed me." Lord Vaskar hissed.

DeKramarr threw himself angrily to his knees in front of his master. He spoke softly, his voice laden with hatred.

"I did my best, my Lord, but that foppish prince was too well prepared. There were six of them, I was out numbered. I nearly had that weak willed-"

 "ENOUGH! You did not do enough." The warlord snapped.

DeKramarr bowed his head in shame, his anger radiating off him in waves and he bit his tongue to keep himself from protesting further. Lord Vaskar walked to a window, his robes whispering along the ground.