Chapter One - Once Upon a Time

It was written; when the great water goddess Ríanna was destroyed that one would take her place. She would be a great warrior and a powerful leader. She would be fearless in the face of battle and cool when faced with oppression.  

“I AM NOT MOVING TO AMERICA!” a young girl of sixteen yelled. 

Of course this has to be learned. 

The girl stood in a kitchen of mismatched dilapidated furniture, facing her Aunt Rosie. She was tall with red hair. The only thing brighter than this at that moment in time was her anger. Her Aunt sat at the table turning a cup of now cold coffee. 

“But Sameeca-” she began. 

“No! I didn’t say anything when you started seeing him, I protested when you went steady and I know I wasn’t that thrilled when you agreed to marry him! But moving! No way!” 

Aunt Rosie sighed and pulled up a chair. Sameeca sat. Taking Sameeca’s hands in her own, Rosie looked at her and spoke softly. 

“Your mother will never be back, whether we live here or not.  You know this, when we moved she never came looking.” Rosie stroked her niece's face before continuing, “She asked me to take care of you when she left you here, and I plan too. I can't do that when I'm in America and you are here. I do love Randy, he loves us and he can give us a much better life than we have here. Look around Sameeca, this place is on its last legs. I know you’re intelligent enough to see it.” 

It was true; the two bed-roomed bungalow was falling apart. The five-roomed cottage was small and damp. Furniture lined every wall and cultivated from there, making moving so difficult that one needed a map to get about without severely damaging oneself; knick knacks, flowers, ornaments and photos were piled onto every available space. The place was cold and draughty in winter and hot and stuffy in summer, but it was home. Glowering, Sameeca pulled away and stood in front of the fire, it was burning low, so she busied herself with building it up again. 

“Randy will be able to give you and Louise a better education, and it’ll mean I won’t have to work so we could spend more time together.” Seeing this had no effect on the stubborn teenager she switched tactics. “He has promised you a new room and some money for anything you could want. He accepts your apology even though you didn’t really apologise, but I think it was rather big of him to forgive you-”  

There was a bang from the fireplace, Rosie jumped. Sameeca stepped over the log which she had thrown on the floor in her anger, and stormed off to the room which she shared with her cousin, Louise. Louise, who was thankfully away today, shopping in town with her friends, not blabbering on about New York and what the latest fashion was over there. Slamming the door behind her, Sameeca turned to stare out at the bleak, grey skies that were such a common sight in her home town in peace, but to no avail. To make her mood even blacker, with a loud clunk, the door promptly fell out of its frame. 

Sameeca swore. 

                                                                                   ~*~ 

Sameeca sighed as she leaned back on her bed. She really didn’t like Randy McKenzie, she found him an oily character. She would have liked to have used the phrase “more money than brains” to describe him, but unfortunately this was not the case, as it was his intelligence as well as his conspiring mind that gained him his fortune. He delighted in showing this off, and there was often a battle of the wits between the two of them. In her opinion, the world would be a better place without him. Sometime later, girlish cries of excitement and joy emitted from the kitchen announcing the return of Louise, and shook Sameeca from her depressing thought. Sometimes she felt there were years between her and Louise, instead of just one.