Ch. 21 - Crazy Bird

Chapter Twenty One - Crazy Bird

-

Raven forced herself to sit in silence with the prisoners. She listened as the cuffs rattled when they tried shifting; metal against metal and stone. The whimpering was kept to a minimal but without any other noise to drone it out, Raven's eardrums picked up every sigh and teary stutter. She forced herself to sit, to do nothing to help.

Marinate in their agony, she told herself.

Every once in a while, the realization that it was wrong would hit her like a brick. She could let them all go. They keys were hanging on the wall. Yet, she refused to give in. When the urge to revert back to weak Raven became overwhelming she would stand to practice throwing punches again. It helped, but then the emptiness inside would weigh on her and she'd sit back down.

Toughen up. You'll die here otherwise.

Her unwillingness to move from the chair often served to remind her of how tired she was. Each time she felt herself become groggy, she would hasten to hit the pipe again.

No sleep. They'll haunt you when you sleep.

Ghost reappeared multiple times. He always remained quiet as he refilled the pipe on the table, and studied her condition momentarily before leaving. Raven didn't mind. She wasn't in the mood for more conversation, but appreciated the bottomless paraphernalia.

Shadow also came down once to check on her. He also added to Raven's pipe, and then proceeded to take one of the hostage girls upstairs. The woman's cries for him to just kill her made Raven's heart catch in her throat. Breathing became a chore as she listened to him drag the unwilling victim out of the basement. She never turned to look. Once all was silent again, she flicked her lighter and hit the pipe.

Shit happens. she told herself.

Then, she couldn't sit still anymore. She was angry again; furious with her own helplessness. She stood suddenly and pulled at her hair, circling the table and chairs. She yelled as loud as she could and toppled the table over in her frustration with herself. Raven watched in horror as the pipe cluttered across the concrete floor, shattering after it's third tumble.

It wasn't only fear of sleep that gripped her. Rage, long deeply harbored from years of torment, came surfacing. Without thought, Raven screamed, swung around, and grabbed the back of a chair. She continued her spin, and the chair leg caught the last female captives head perfectly, snapping her neck.

Raven dropped the chair, and shook her head in disbelief.

"No. No, no, no, no...." she started mumbling.

No!" she screamed, "It wasn't supposed to be like this. You weren't... No! I wasn't suppose to be like this!"

Raven clapsed to the ground and muttered again and again," I wasn't suppose to be this," as she folded herself over to the fetal position, hugging her legs.

She laid like that for what felt like eternity, staring at the captive's feet. She watched the dust on the floor raise and scatter with each breath, and felt comforted by it.

"Raven," she heard a familiar voice call, but couldn't identify the source.

Suddenly, Davy was leaning over her, his head twisted at an odd angle due to his neck breaking during his suicide. It allowed for him to look straight at her though, regardless of his standing position. His breath was pungent, and reminded her of ancient plagues. She could hear the bones within his neck crunch and crack as he cooked his head twice, the broken fragments rubbing awkwardly against each other. His eyes were the most disturbing feature; reflective black spheres replaced what was once sparkling blue pools.