Graduation

Andrew:

"What do you mean I have to? They're hideous. I refuse."

Schuiens narrows his eyes at me. "It's just a robe! Everyone since the dawn of time has worn their school's robe to graduate! You have to do it!"

I cross my arms and shake my head my head at him. "Nope. I'm wearing this."

He looks me up and down. "Women's boots, jeans too small for you, and a tee shirt? I don't think so."

I scoff. "These are combat boots, good sir!" He rubs the bridge of his nose. "Also, this 'tee shirt' cost me fifty dollars."

"I don't care!" He booms. "You're wearing the robe! I don't have time to argue with you about this!"

I narrow my eyes. "Fine, but I'm not wearing that ugly square hat."

The vein in his head is about to burst. "I don't care what you do! Don't wear the robe and the hat, whatever! But you're not walking with your class, and you aren't giving your speech!" With that, he storms off in the other direction.

"But..." I say to myself. "It'll crush my hairdo..."

"Okay everyone, places!" The dean of students yells as he walks in. "We're starting in five minutes!"

An arm wraps around my waist. "Done arguing about the attire?"

I spin around and give Noah a look. "No! He says I can't walk with the class if I don't wear the damned things."

"I don't see why you won't! It's a tradition."

"Yeah, whatever.  I'll wear the god awful outfit. But nobody is taking my picture in that thing." I throw on the ugly robe and hat I thought for sure I could talk my way out of, pouting. "I feel like I'm wearing curtains and a book."

He smirks. "You look cute."

"You look cute." I sing, nudging his crutch. "You sure you're not gonna topple on your way up the stage, in front of a thousand people?"

He scoffs, standing up a little straighter. "You sure you're not gonna choke on your speech, in front of a thousand people?"

I shove him, laughing. "Fuck you! I don't need any pressure right now, I'm so nervous!"

"You're going to do amazing baby, I know it." He leans down and gives me a kiss. "Just imagine the crowd in their underwear, and they won't seem so scary."

"That's a lot of nudity to imagine, Noah, I don't think my brain can process that many bloomers. Can I just imagine you in your underwear instead?"

He shrugs, laughing. "If that works, definitely." He's sweet for agreeing, but I'll probably be imagining him completely naked after all. If I want to feel calm, nothing will work better than that!

"I can't believe they're even letting a queer give the speech at graduation." I hear a familiar shrieking voice comment from the congregation of blue and black robes in the corner. I strut over to her, taking an easy breath. "Oh, speak of the devil."

"Good to see you too Faith." I cross my arms over my chest. "Look, I know we've had our differences, but I hope you have a good time in college and enjoy your life. I mean we're graduating anyway, might as well call a truce. So, what do you say, friends?"

She looks like she's considering the proposal for a moment, then puts her hands on her hips. "I wouldn't be your friend if my life depended on it. Go fuck yourself."

"Gladly." I scoff, turning away from her promptly. Then, I stop and turn back, deciding not to be the bigger person just this last time. "You're really sad, you know that, Faith?"