Prom

Andrew:

The pillow I'm holding has various loose strings, so I can't help but tear at them. "Why not?" I sort-of whine.

Noah turns around from the mirror and buttons his dress pants. "Because. It's completely unnecessary."

"But baby! It's prom! Everybody gets a hotel room on prom night."

He laughs, crossing his arms. "In case you haven't noticed, we're not like everybody else, Andy."

"Yeah, no shit." I mumble, tossing the pillow aside.

He smirks and puts on some deodorant. "Why would you want a hotel room anyway? If you want to get our sexy on, we can just come back home and lock the door."

"Yes, this I know. But it's not about getting our sexy on. It's about being a normal teenage boy. And besides, we have youth in this home now. We can not corrupt him."

"Ha! We're not normal at all, but that's not a bad thing." I nod, and he sits on the bed next to me. "You're not even really a teenager. You're turning nineteen in a week and a half."

"Yeah I am, huh?" I sit on Noah's lap and wrap my arms around his waist. Looking into those ice blue eyes, I feel so at home. "I can't believe we're doing this."

He rests his head on my shoulder. "What do you mean?"

"Going to prom. It's kind of crazy, don't you think? I mean, what if this doesn't go well..."

"Andy, you're being paranoid again." He coos. "I know you've had bad events in the past, but I promise everything is going to be fine. I'm not going to let anybody bother us."

I nod, twiddling my fingers. "Right, no, I know. It's just that nobody has ever gone to a dance with another dude. We're literally the first gay kids at this school."

He shrugs. "So what? That makes us pioneers, don't you think."

"Maybe. Or maybe it makes us crazy."

He laughs, hugging me tight. "Oh Andy, always the worrier. I promise you, nothing is going to happen. We're just as entitled to a fun senior prom as anyone else."

"If you say so." I hum, standing up. "Now we really have got to get ready. It's already seven thirty."

Noah glances at the wall clock. "So it is." He gets up and we both start putting on the rest of our suits. "You know, if you really want a room, I'll buy you one."

"No, it's fine." I smile at him. "Being normal is lame, anyway."

He returns my smile as he ties up his shoes. "You sure?"

"Hell yeah. Lets just go to prom and have a kick ass time."

"Sounds good." He says softly, grabbing his keys.

We trot together down the stairs, holding hands. "Senior prom, here we come."

"Oh, my boys!" My mom exclaims, waiting in the living room with her camera. John is smiling behind her, dazzled by our fancy outfits.

We roll our eyes, trying to avoid the pictures as we pass by. "Come on mom, you're so embarrassing."

She crosses her arms. "You haven't been to a dance in... well, a long time! I need to get these memories while I can."

John tugs her skirt, calling her attention. "Can I go to the party?"

She smiles at him softly. "Oh, Mein Liebchen, you're too young to go. In a few years you'll have your own dances to go to, and then I'll embarrass you with pictures."

he beams at her. "I love pictures."

"Then come take some with us." Noah offers to him. He eagerly obliges and runs over, smiling wide at the camera. I roll my eyes, irritated that I must be photographed.

After two or three snaps, I've had about enough. "Alright, we really have to go now. Mom, you take pictures of him, at least he likes it." I push John towards her, offering him up.

She groans and kisses us both. "Have fun boys."

"We will." We both say, running out the door.

I quickly climb into the driver seat, claiming it. Noah smiles as he hands me the keys. "You ready for this?" He says as I get the engine started.

I pull out of the driveway, almost hitting the mailbox. "Yeah, of course. Why do you ask? Do I not look okay? Do I look like I'm not ready? What's wrong? Why are you asking that? I'm totally ready. I'm pumped!"

He raises an eyebrow at me. "You're nervous baby."

"I am not!"

"Yes you are. I know when you're nervous, Andy."

I sigh. "Damn you and your ridiculous deductive skills."

He laughs and grabs my hand again. "What's wrong honey?"

"I just...I don't know how this is going to go..."

"We've been over this baby, it's going to be fine."

I tap my hands on the wheel. "I know, I know. It's just... people have been oddly quiet to us. Like, no one has said anything since the party."

"Well, maybe they think we're cool now."

I scoff "As if. Nobody thinks we're cool Noah, they never have."