Part 13 - Revenge

Part 13  - Revenge

Meanwhile, Matthews was quite unaware of the disastrous effects his rejection had had on his lieutenant. Indeed he had scarcely seen him since. His own desperate attempts to get over him had been singularly lacking in success. Hardy had done his best, he had slept with him the first night, but it had soon dawned on him that Hardy's best was nowhere near as exciting as Kent's slightest caress or attention. He realised he had been attracted by Kent himself as much as his body. Unfairly, he made continual comparisons and wondered whether he had made the biggest mistake of his life when he told Richard to go. Perhaps he couldn't give Richard up. 

Could he ask him back? If he did, he would have to get right down from his dignity and beg him. Instantly, Matthews shied away from the idea, he couldn't bear to lose face before him. Underneath this reaction was a fear, so suppressed it was unconscious, that if he ever dropped the control on his feelings towards Kent, he would dominate him. And he desperately wanted Kent's admiration and respect. 

The Lieutenant went in search of the Captain as soon as he left Simenson. He knew he was scheduled to be off duty and checked the gym and the common room before going to his quarters. Giving himself no time to reconsider, he flashed his ID at the door and entered. It was the first time they had been face to face since Matthews had dumped him and he was sourly gratified to see the other man step back involuntarily. "What do you want Lieutenant?" 

Kent wondered what would happen if he said "You." But he didn't. "I want to hand you my official request for a transfer sir, and ask that you confirm it." 

Matthews blinked as the ground fell away from beneath him and reached out to steady himself. "Uh? What?" 

"My transfer sir, you need to sign it," Kent proffered the form, more than half hoping the Captain would dash it to the ground. 

"Your reason?" 

"Uh.. personal reasons sir related to Rule 158," Kent almost drawled the words.  

Matthews face was a mask, what could he do? Afterwards he could never decide what made him do as he did, whether he was trying to make Kent go or stay, but he took the form, wrote on it calmly and gave it back. 

Whatever the Captain had intended, it acted on Kent like a slap in the face. Instantly he was furiously, boilingly angry, he wanted to humiliate Matthews and hurt him and hurt him. His voice was dangerously calm. "Am I dismissed sir?" 

Oblivious of Kent's rage, the Captain nodded briskly and turned away. In one quick motion, the Lieutenant stepped forward and wrenched Matthew's right arm up behind his back, exerting enough pressure to break it if he resisted. Gradually he forced him down until he was on his knees in front of him, almost before he had realised what was happening. Finally he found his voice. "What on Earth do you think you are doing Kent?" 

The other man considered, "Assaulting you!" 

"Richard, just think a minute. You won't get off this time. Assaulting a ship's captain is not assault, it's mutiny!"

In his present mood, the Lieutenant couldn't have cared less. He simply stared down at him then lowered his head, his lips curved in an almost cruel smile.

For the first time Matthews understood what he was going to do, fear raced through him and he leapt desperately at his only protection. "Stop it at once, that's an order!"

Kent dropped his mouth on his and cut him off. Matthews closed his lips angrily and Kent backed off. With calm deliberation he slapped him twice across the face, then kissed him again, using his teeth to hurt.