Part 2 - Trouble

Men began to mutter and a note of anger crept into their tone. Just then the siren sounded for change of watch and the question of Lieutenant Kent's disloyalty was momentarily shelved. By next day however, Kent found himself an outcast. No-one spoke to him without the utmost necessity, men walked straight passed him in the corridor without acknowledgement. He challenged the first two, but when they both answered they hadn't seen him he realised what was happening and gave it up. Although no-one was really conscious of it, Kent's attitude was what had set the seal on their acceptance of the Captains homosexuality. Privately still shocked by it, Hamilton had made them feel ashamed and they leapt on Kent as if he represented the recalcitrant part of themselves. 

The lieutenant himself was torn by conflict. The crew's attitude had the natural result of making him dig in his heels and yet he wondered if they were right. Every time he saw the Captain, admiration and revulsion fought inside him. The isolation wore down his nerves, yet the more on edge he felt, the more he stubbornly schooled himself to an outward show of indifference. After four days he felt like screaming. 

It was only a matter of time before the Captain noticed Kent was being ostracised by at least a portion of the crew. He let things ride a day or two, hoping his lieutenant could sort things out for himself. Finally he felt that he couldn't leave the situation any longer. He tracked Kent down in the library, thinking they were alone, unaware of his Fifth Lieutenant working silently in an alcove. 

"Lieutenant Kent, usually my policy is not to interfere in the relationship between an officer of this ship and the crew. However, in your case it seems unavoidable to me. You are aware I presume of being ostracised?" The Fifth Lieutenant jumped, suddenly realising no-one knew he was there and that it was now too late to say so. 

"Yes, sir." Kent felt panicky, Matthews was going to reprimand him again. He hoped desperately he could control himself. 

"Well then, why haven't you done something about it?" 

"I can't sir," he muttered. 

"Can't? Lieutenant I don't know if you realise quite how serious this is. I have never had an officer or indeed anyone, ostracised for more than an hour on this ship and I am not going to condone it now. When a man, especially an officer is ostracised, it causes a lack of discipline which could be dangerous. Sure they obey your instructions but with just that little hesitation, that lack of respect which can cause disaster in a crisis. Just imagine if we had tried to handle the Karraminta conflict like this, I'll tell you frankly we couldn't have succeeded. This whole affair has made me disappointed in the crew of this ship, but mainly in you Lieutenant. I consider you have let me down. If an officer can't handle his men, he is unfit. You must get back in control even if you have to physically discipline the men involved. If you don't, I see no alternative but to have you demoted and transferred and the ring leaders whipped. That's how serious I think this is. There has been no corporal punishment on this ship since I became Captain but there will be if you can't break up the situation any other way. Do I make myself clear?" 

"Yessir!"  

The Fifth officer, in the alcove felt as if he wanted to crawl away. If the Captain had ever spoken to him like that he would have died on the spot. Matthews continued. "How many men are involved in this Kent? No officers I hope?" The fifth Lieutenant held his breath knowing full well that every man aboard apart from Kent and the Captain himself was in on it. 

"No sir, no officers, just a small group of men," lied Kent.