Part 6 - The Trial

Part 6  - The Trial

The atmosphere in the ship grew tense waiting for the arrival of the three officers from Sirius Station. Kent was allowed to continue with his duties and it was Harper who kept to his cabin. Wild rumours flew around, changing hour by hour as neither of the protagonists would speak about the case. Everyone was on Kent's side, although many feared that he might have gone further that the officiators would condone. Eventually the officiators arrived, a colonel, a major and a ships' captain, obviously the base had taken the case seriously. Normally in any dispute between crew members, the ships' Captain would have made a ruling that both parties would have complied with, but as Harper was both a Major and an external Inspector, he had exercised his right to take the case higher. This had set in train a whole series of protocols that were a nightmare to challenge.  

Kent went to see them as soon as he heard the officiators had arrived. However, they had been allocated cabins in a secured area and Kent was told firmly, if politely, that it was totally impossible for him to have any contact with any of the officiators before the trial. "Can you at least ask Colonel Young to view the recorded evidence before the trial?" he asked the man on duty. "It's extremely important, there is sensitive information on it which should not be broadcast to the whole ship!" he pressed. The man replied politely that he would see what he could do, and Kent was obliged to leave, trying to have faith that the message would be delivered. 

Colonel Young could see no reason for delay, it appeared a simple matter of hearing from the two protagonists and then making a judgement. There was no evidence to be investigated as far as he was aware and no witnesses to be called. Harper and Kent sat on opposite sides of the three judges, turned slightly towards each other and facing rows of tightly packed crew. Corporal Hamilton had been co-opted into making sure the events were recorded without interruption and was seated next to the judges with the ships' camcorder in place. Captain Matthews sat next to Lieutenant Kent. 

Colonel Young opened the proceedings with a formal calling to order and then read the charge. 

"It appears to me Major Harper, that the point we are trying to ascertain is whether or not Lieutenant Kent was aware that you were not a Second Lieutenant as he had been lead to believe but in fact a Major. Lieutenant Kent himself admits to actually striking you. Is that correct gentlemen?" 

"Yes sir. He also kicked me in the stomach when I was on the ground," Harper added self-righteously. 

"Is that true Lieutenant Kent?" Young asked him with raised brows. 

"Um..yes sir, it is." he confessed reluctantly. "Unfortunately I lost my temper."  

"I see. Are you making any claim of self defence Lieutenant Kent?" 

"No sir. Though I will plead extreme provocation, while believing we were both the same rank sir." 

"So noted. Now when did this incident occur, Major?" 

"Between 19:00 and 20:00 hours on the 6th of June 2480, sir." 

"That's correct sir," agreed Kent. 

"Location?" 

"The cabin allotted to me on the P112 - Kalar sir." 

Kent nodded and Colonel Young asked him to agree verbally for the record. 

"Now Major Harper, I believe you have a recording of the incident, for the whole period in question?" 

"Yes sir, you can check the time and date on it if required." There was a gasp of comprehension from some of the crew. The Colonel frowned. 

"Could you pass your personal recorder to Corporal Hamilton, please?" 

Corporal Hamilton took the device from Major Harper and scanned it with the ships camcorder, "The date and time are as stated Colonel," he reported.