Chapter 10 part 2

The next few days rushed past in a hot blur. On Thursday, the temperature felt like five-hundred degrees by the last class of the day, and the air conditioner in biology couldn't keep up. I tried to concentrate on a video about DNA strands in humans. Beside me, Gwyn had completely checked out. She slipped me a note.

Come pick up your pledge form for gold panning when we're released from prison. I mean school. You need to catch me up to date on the biology research paper. And I have something to show you. And if you are there Ma might let me take the afternoon off.

I wrote back that I would.

But when Polwen dismissed our class, Will said he needed a minute. I waved Gwyn on ahead.

"What is it?"

"Mick got another wedding invitation in the mail today."

"Did she tell you what it said?"

"Just that it's intriguing."

"I told Gwyn I'd come over."

Will shrugged. "Come by when you're done then, okay?"

I nodded. I had to go to Gwyn's first. Not just because she'd asked first. I felt big-time guilty, about what I'd done to the building Gwyn called home. I owed her a lot right now.

I parked my bike in front of Las ABC. The delicious scents were the same; Bridget's smile was the same; but I felt changed. I wanted to disappear as she gave me a quick hug.

"Gwyn said you'd be by." Bridget brushed a stray hair from my face and handed me a pledge form. "Three more day's 'til Panning for Felines. We sure appreciate your help."

I smiled back, guilt oozing from every pore of my being.

"You can go through the kitchen; use the door that leads outside. I gave Gwyn the afternoon off."

I said thanks and stepped out the back to the yard. Against the back fence, Gwyn closed a cat kennel door.

"Hey Sam!" She carried a litter box to the trashcan. "I'm doing a little house-keeping first."

"Your mom said she's giving you the afternoon off."

"This isn't work, according to Ma. Lend me a hand?"

"Can I say no?" I did not want to go into those cat-rooms again.

She looked at me, grinning like she thought I was funny. Then her face changed. "Oh. You're not joking."

I hated myself.

"I forgot." She kicked open door number three. "You're not big on cats." She took a moment to reappear during which I agonized over my inability to tell Gwyn the truth.