Epilogue

He was hunched over, his knees on the ground and his back curled to the floor. He was coughing heavily to the floorboards, his back jumping every time he did. 

 I looked at him wide eyed, trying to take in the fact that Kyle -dead Kyle- was somehow here. And he didn't look faded like before...he looked real. Touchable. 

"K-Kyle..." I whispered; watching as he slowly raised his head at me. 

His eyes, his deep blue eyes were piercing into my own, like he was seeing me for the first time in years. They looked so desperate -slightly scared- and even worse, alone. His coughing fit was over for a few seconds, and he smiled a little at me. "I can't believe this." He whispered. 

 I pried myself from Zach's grasp, and staggered over to Kyle. I fell onto my knees in front of him, my eyes not leaving his the whole time. 

I gulped. "Are you...here?" I asked. 

He touched his arms, and then his chest, before slowly and hesitantly, touching my shoulder. 

It made contact. 

"Yes," he breathed, and held onto my shoulder a little harder. 

He...he was here. He was alive. I could touch him. 

 I slowly lifted my hand up to his shoulder, and felt happiness bubble inside me when it made contact. That was the first time I had touched him in three weeks...it felt like I hadn't touch him in years. It felt like I hadn't seen him in years. 

He smiled brightly at me, and I couldn't help but smile back. He was here for Pete's sake! Alive and well! 

"Jessica," he said gently, "do you really...love me? Like you said?" 

"H-How did you hear that?" I gasped, and felt my cheeks turn red. 

"I don't know," he shook his head defeatedly, "but I heard." 

"Yes," I said quickly, getting straight to the point despite the anxiousness sweeping over. "I do." 

His eyes widened a little bit, but the smile returned to his face again even brighter than before. And I didn't even think that was possible. 

 He pulled me closer to him by the neck gently, and pressed his lips against mine desperately. 

Oh how I had missed his kisses, and his voice, and just his whole presence... 

 I kissed back, and his fingers went though my hair slightly, keeping me as close to him as he could. I put my hands round his neck and cheeks, and kissed back. 

I was truly in heaven. I had returned to the land of bliss that I had visited three weeks ago, when he kissed me for the first time. 

 Tingles went through my body, and I felt my pulse racing. My heart was in my throat, almost scared that this was too good to be true. What...what if he leaves again? 

I shook off the thought. I didn't care. I loved him, and I was savouring this moment with him. 

 He pulled back and showed his set of straight white pearls, before grabbing me in a hug. I clung onto him desperately, feeling his arms around me and his cheek on my cheek. 

"I love you Jessica," he whispered to me, "I love you. I love you so much." 

"I love you too," I smiled back over his shoulder. Had he really just said those words to me? I love you...did he say that? 

We pulled back and just smiled at each other. We were finally glad to be able to talk to each other, hold each other, and just basically smile! 

 I smelt his scent from his shirt, and it smelt just the same as it always was. He made everything in the room warmer, and brighter. Who can do that? Only Kyle. 

He looked behind me, and I turned around too. Zach. 

 Wow...how awkward. 

He didn't make it awkward though. He was...smiling at us, warmly. It was like he was watching a movie as it came to its final scene. 

"Hey," he greeted Kyle, who smiled in return. 

"How did you...?" 

"Secret," Zach winked at him, "does it matter anyway?" 

Kyle and I looked at each other, and shook our heads. No, it didn't at all. 

"It's nice to see you again," Zach smiled. 

"It's good to see you too. Both of you." He said as he looked away from Zach to me briefly. 

I blushed slightly and tried to create a curtain with my hair. I heard him chuckle silently. 

"Zach, you are officially my new best friend." He said as he stood beside him, and slung his arm around his shoulder. 

Zach chuckled, "I feel honoured." 

"You should be!" Kyle teased, as they both chuckled at each other. 

I stood up from the ground, and smiled at them. Kyle stopped laughing and smiled at me gently. He held his arm out, motioning me to come under his arm as well. I obeyed and felt his warm embrace encircle around me, as he pulled me closer to him. 

"You know," he sighed, and squeezed the both of us, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." 

Zach and I chuckled at him, but nodded in agreement. 

It was, one that we knew would stay for a long time.

_____________________________________________________________

Please comment, vote, rate, and even fan if you liked this story!

-Rachel :)

UPDATE: The sequel has been posted! Click on the external link to read "Only a Matter of Time"! :)