Part 5: Are you really here K?

We had taken a bus over town, and we were now standing outside a deserted warehouse. Zach said he could have taken his wings here, and it would have been much quicker, but I refused. I wasn't quite ready for that yet and plus, the bus ride gave me a little time to think. 

"I bet you loved it when Kyle did it," he said. 

As I leaned my forehead against the cool bus window, I fiddled with my fingers and panicked a little inside. What was I going to do when I saw Kyle? What was I going to ask him? What was I going to say? There was too many things I wanted to say...but no way could I ask all of them. It would take up too much time. 

 Time was something that could not be wasted at this point. 

"So, Jessica..." Zach asked beside me. 

I pulled my head from the relaxing coldness of the glass and smiled. "Yes?" 

"Did you...em...love Kyle?" 

I blinked and cleared my throat slightly. "W-Why do you ask?" 

"Just wondering," he shrugged, "it might help for the connection..." 

"Oh," I said surprised, "well, I...I don't know..." 

"Hm," he chuckled, "that helps a lot." 

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the window. 

"I bet he loved you," he said gently. I turned to look at him again, but he avoided my gaze, almost pretending that he hadn't said anything at all. 

The warehouse that was now in front of us was very under kept, very rusty and slowly crumbling away. Flakes of grey paint peeled off the brick building, and most of the only windows there were smashed or cracked. It was obviously deserted, so no one had kept it up to standards. 

 It almost looked a little too dangerous to go inside...it looked like it was going to collapse at any second. 

Zach saw my concern and smiled at me. "Don't worry, it's perfectly safe. It's just a little rough round the edges." 

I followed him inside, and felt the wide space around me. It was quite big in here actually, much bigger than I thought it would be. I could see the light cracking through the damaged windows, and the pieces of glass that lay below the window frames. I was sure that there would have been an echo if we talked.

 There was a few doors on the walls, which lead to different rooms. Zach motioned me to follow him as he walked over to one of them, and pushed the door open. To my surprise, the room wasn't as bad as the rest of the place. It was decent enough, there was a fairly new looking couch in the corner, and a table and a couple of chairs, so it was alright. Not ideal, but ok.  

There were shelves clinging slantways on the walls, and one of them held a lamp and a plant. There was a small TV that I doubt even worked anymore beside the shelves, the top of it covered in a light sheet of dust. 

 I pulled my finger along it to discover I was correct. Filthy. 

The wallpaper was peeling at random parts, showing grey holes from the original wall colour, and the dirty floorboards creaked every time one of us moved. 

 I didn't know why I was being so judgemental, it wasn't like I was going to live here. The place was abandoned, what was I expecting? A flat screen TV and a hot tub? 

Oh that was friend, Mr Sarcastic by the way. 

"So you stay here," Zach ordered, "while I go next door and start a...connection." 

"Why can't you do it here?" I asked curiously. 

"I don't want to freak you out," he smiled, "it's not really a thing for beginners."