Chapter #6

Chapter 6: Compton High Highschol

***

6:00am.

I sat on the kitchen counter, nibbling on an apple silently. Having no proper breakfast for a week and a half, I realized that I'd be losing a lot of weight in my stomach area. I lifted up my pajama shirt to see my stomach perfectly flat, as if it were a piece of paper. It worried me. The fridge held food I did not like and I wished my Aunt and Uncle would care about me a little more. I wasn't angry really, I was just upset that they're so busy with work.

I worried how much effort they put into their work now that I'm in the picture and I knew that this of course was going to lead me to loneliness. I understood their motives, but I felt uncared for. But then again- who was I to tell them when I wanted them to be around, and when I wanted them to work or not.

I hadn't acknowledged that they were never around during the day until now, when I was now under their responsibility. I sighed and got up, making my way up the long flight of stairs. I threw my apple leftovers into the trash can and hopped into the shower, letting the warm water loosen my muscles.

After scrubbing for a while, I get out and walk to my closet. I picked out a few clothing articles and a comfy, halter top. This is always how I dressed up at my old school, so I'm sure this was appropriate. I added my black Converse and put in my ear piercings, slowly as I watched myself in the reflection of my mirror.

The bags under my eyes were ridiculous.

I chose to ignore the way my face looked and grabbed my flat iron. I straightened my long, dull brown hair which took about 20 minutes. My hair lay in the middle of my back, and I sprayed a bit of hairspray to keep everything in place. I felt nervous and I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach as I walked down the stairs. The house was silent, my parents were no longer knickering in the kitchen. There was no smell of eggs and bacon, and the curtains weren't open, letting all the sunshine in. It saddened me even more as I opened the front door and closing it behind me, without even saying 'good bye' to anyone.

7:00am.

I almost forgot my time tables so I tiredly turn back around and unlock the door, running to the kitchen to grab my papers. There wasn't a note on the fridge this time, but it didn't bug me. I had nothing to look forward to in general, so I continued to look through my time tables that my aunt and uncle had gotten in from the mail.

I read that the locker number of mine was 19, and I frowned.

The number 19 brought back many terrible memories I did not want to remember. Ignoring the unlucky number, I looked at my class homeroom number; 251, as well as the periods I have. Today I had L.A, Phys-Ed, Social Studies, Math then lunch break. After that I had Chemistry and then a free block in the library.

Not bad.

I grabbed my things and headed out the front door, using my cellphone's GPS, to find my new school 'Compton High'. The walk wasn't too far, maybe 10 minutes away. I had picked up a small Booster Juice on the way, one that I had finished within 2 minutes. The drink seemed to distract me from the streets of New York, momentarily.

I stared at my Converse as I walked down the side walk. I noticed many other girls walking the same direction as me, and I tried smiling, but they would all just glare at me. It felt unusual to walk down the streets of New York without seeing a familiar beach across the road, or the same joggers cross by me, waving to say hello. New York was so different yet so busy.

Here, I walked down a concrete, wide sidewalk with hundreds of pedestrians surrounding me, walking in every direction. There were so many cars that drove past me, causing my hair to blow crazily from the breeze. I shouldered past many pedestrians, trying to walk away from the hundreds of unrecognizable faces.