chapter six

"Miss Sophia, Mr. Bernstien has come to pay visit to you." Rose curtsied as she entered the parlour, arms full of laundry.

"Thank you Rose. Please let him in." Sophia stood up and started straitening her clothes and smoothing her hair.

"Yes Miss." Rose curtsied again.

"Rose?"

"Yes Miss?"

"Please don't curtsy for me. I am in no means royalty." Sophia sarcastically scorned.

"Yes Miss." Rose smiled and went to open the door. When she was satisfied with her hair and clothes, Sophia perched herself on the chaise with her back strait, and hands folded.

"Ah Sophia! Lovely as ever!" Charles swooned as he walked in and took her hand to kiss it.

"Charles," Sophia smiled and felt her cheeks fill with heat as his soft lips grazed the back of her hand.

"What do you say we go back to my estate and have a romantic dinner and ride through the gardens?" Charles breathed going behind her and placing his hands on the pack of her waist. 

"That sounds delightful," Sophia shivered from the feel of his breath on the back of her neck. Charles led her out to the carriage and they rode to his home with arms wrapped around each other.

                                                                          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 For dinner, Charles had the cook prepare roasted quail and steamed eggplant with a cranberry rue. Sophia barely picked at her food because her gaze was completely intertwined with his. They stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like forever until he patted his mouth with his serviette corner and walked around behind Sophia to pull back her chair and escort her to the gardens. They walked hand in hand up to the waiting carriage led by two snow coloured Clydesdale's adorned in silver bridles. Charles helped her onto the cushioned seat and whispered to the coachman who kept his back turned to the carriage.  He nodded at Charles' request and picked up the reigns.

"Isn't it a beautiful evening?" Charles smiled looking up at the cloudless sky. "I could just count the stars."

"It is quite astounding." Sophia whispered her eyes locked on Charles, not even glancing at the sky. Charles stared back at her with an amused smile across his face. Sophia's heart quickened and he leaned closer to her face. She closed her eyes and awaited the feeling of his lips on hers. She felt his breath on her face, and there was a pause. Sophia opened her eyes and saw that he was smiling. Sophia breathed, realizing she had been holding her breath. "What?" she whispered, blushing from embarrassment.

"You," He grinned even wider. "I love you." Sophia's heart leaped and did a few flips in her chest. She was blushing and smiling so wide she thought her jaw might come unhinged. She closed her eyes again and pressed her mouth to his. His lips were smooth and soft and tasted faintly of champagne. When Charles pulled away he looked into her eyes and Sophia swore they were smiling. The two of them continued their ride in silence, holding hands like she had seen her parents do in her childhood years.

After a long and beautiful carriage ride the horses slowed to a stop in front of Sofia's walkway. "Goodnight my love," Charles whispers into her hair as he kissed her head. Sophia blushed again and stepped down onto the stone walk watching Charles as he sat back down and looked to the driver.

"Benjamin, take me back home." Charles said to the coachman. Upon hearing his name, the man turned around and Sophia gasped. His blueish green eyes flashed to hers and he dropped the reigns. He scrambled t find them again but it was too late. The horses took off galloping down the road with lightning speed. Sophia gaped after the carriage as she watched it disappear into the night.

 Hey guys!! Thanks for reading my story so far, I promise things will get more interesting and all confusion will be resolved. Just keep reading. Oh, and special thanks to deedelee_gish for being my first fan and comment!! <3