chapter two

Sunlight poured in through the window and settled over the spacious room. Prying her eyes open from a restless and nightmare-filled sleep, Sophia stretched and rolled over in her plush king bed. Suddenly her body went completely strait, and her heart seemed to sprint out of her chest. There was a large, warm body in bed next to her. Oh my goodness, Sophia thought. The man from last night was lying in bed next to her. Sophia's mind raced to the previous night, trying to recall how the stranger could have gotten in. It was then the body shifted, and a familiar furry face came into view and swiped a ragged, moist tongue across her cheek.

Sophia almost feinted with relief as she let out a sigh, closed her eyes, and set her trembling hands over her face. A few controlled breaths later, Sophia opened her eyes, and lifted her body out of bed. She bent over Skipper and scratched behind his ears as his tail wagged eagerly. "You scared me half to death there boy," She smiled as she stroked his smooth honey brown fur.

A quiet rap on the door forced a sharp gasp from Sophia's already shaken body. Rose, her maidservant opened the door, and set down a tray of coffee and teas on Sophia's side table. "Good morning Miss Sophia, I trust you had a restful sleep?'' She asked politely, wiping her hands on her powder pink apron, and glancing confused at skipper, who was sprawled across the clean bedsheets, enjoying the affection.

"Actually, no, I did not. It seems I was haunted by a few unwanted frights last night. Didn't sleep very much at all."                                                                                                                                                  

"Oh dear, well that simply won't due," Rose tisked as she poured the coffee, and plopped a few extra sugar cubes into the cup. "Here, this will make you feel better Miss."

"Thank you Rose," Sophia smiled warmly and drank deeply of the soothing cup of coffee.             

"Shall I help you dress this morning?" She asked opening the over sized wardrobe revealing countless gowns in various colours and styles. Sophia thought for a moment, and scratched the back of her head. 

"What is the occasion this afternoon, I have forgotten."

"The luncheon with Lord Greening and his son, whom wishes to seek your hand, Miss." Rose recited while searching through the rack, and eventually coming up with a Sapphire gown with white embroidered roses decorating the skirt and bodice. She set it over the screen, and waited for Sophia to undress before helping her into the corset and lacing up the back.

"I really wish father would stop accepting requests as such. Does he not know I am quite happy with Charles?''

"Oh yes, and that is simply why he accepts these requests. He wishes you to be married to someone with a bit more status than Charles. Besides, imagine if you married into more money, and a title to boot! You would be the head of society!" Rose cooed imagining what it would be like to serve such a titled woman.

"Sadly I must meet Father's requests," Sophia sighed, staring into her vanity as Rose continued to braid small pieces of her hair near her face back, and pinning the rest into a beautiful updo, leaving the longer ringlets to cascade down her back.

"There, now come down to the sitting room and I will send for the driver at eleven." Rose smiled and skittered out of the room and down the stairs.