chapter four

"I am dreadfully sorry for how the help acted this afternoon Miss Montgomery, I assure you he will be dealt with immediately." Lord Greening apologized again, as Sophia was ushered to the powder room and given a clean gown of Henry's sister's to wear while the laundry maid worked on hers. Sophia's face was crimson with embarrassment and anger, but she managed to change quickly and politely bid farewell to the Greening men. At least now she wouldn't have to make up a reason as to why she could not marry Henry.

The carriage slowed to a stop in front of the Montgomery estate and Sophia was escorted out and into the sitting room where her father was waiting with an anxious expression on his face. "So darling how was the luncheon? Do I hear wedding bells ringing?"

"Oh Father, even if I had liked the man, I would not jump into marriage so swiftly. I would at least let him court me for a little while." Sophia scoffed at her father.

"So he was not up to your standards then?" Her father took a sip from his tea cup, which sat awkwardly in his large, dark hand.

"Not in the least, and you will not believe what the man serving our lunch did! He dropped the wine bottle and ruined my dress!"

"Oh dear. I hope he has offered to purchase you a new one?" Her father asked, a rather disappointed look growing over his weathered face.

"Yes, but I declined. I have lots of gowns father, that's not the issue. It was the man, he seemed familiar to me, and seemed to recognize myself too. I think seeing me was the reason he dropped the wine." Sophia shook her head, still confused. "I wish I knew where I could have seen him before."

"He probably dropped the wine from shock of laying eyes on your beautiful face," her father smiled and picked up the newspaper and started reading.

"Oh Father." Sophia blushed and gave his hand a pat before placing her tea cup on the saucer and leaving her father to read his paper.