Chapter 3- Competition Day

Kenzie's POV:

We pulled up to Starbound, in New Jersey, and hopped out of the bus. We each grabbed out stuff, shivering. It wasn't cold, just a little chilly, and wet. Abby checked us in, and we walked to our dressing room.

"Alright! First are the groups! Then the duet, and then solos!" Abby said. I smiled, because I was featured in one of the group numbers and I had a solo! I missed Paigey, though. I let a tear slip down my face as I remembered my favorite Paige memory.

**** FLASHBACK ****

TWO YEARS AGO

I ran out of the studio, and behind it. I ran to the forest behind the studio, and into one of the pine trees. I had always been the best at climbing, even though I was small. After about half an hour of letting people call my name, and run past me, Paige found me. She didn't shout out that she found me, she simply climbed up with me.

"Kenz, what's wrong?"

"Abby!" I almost shouted, breaking down in tears. "She yelled at me again. She told me that I was never going to be as good as Maddie. My mom came down, but she didn't defend me! All she said was that shed get me in more ballet classes! She practically a-agreed w-with her." I wailed. Paige gave me a hug, and smiled.

"Kenz, I know what it feels like. All I ever get compared to is Chloe, or Brooke. She always tells me how awful I am, and how I don't work. What you need to do is prove her wrong. Sow her you can be better than Maddie. You can do a lot of acro stuff she can't do! Just believe."

"Thanks, Paigey." I said. She smiled.

"This is a nice place. We should just stay here."

"Except we'd get yelled at!" I exclaimed.

"Race you to the bottom!" She said. At the bottom, we argued about who was there first, and ended up cracking up. We did aerials the entire way back.

**** END OF FLASHBACK ****

I was never the closest to Paigey, but we are all close on this team, practically sisters. The first dance was Safe and Sound, and our costumes were pretty, all pastel purple. They had crop tops with a light lace-like long sleeve crop top over, with rinestones. The bottoms were knee length flowy skirts. We wore tan tights and tan jazz shoes. Nick, Brandon, and Jacob were in this dance. We had our hair in French twists with curls on top, and a pastel purple hair piece like Maddie's for her old solo Angel. We ran through it a few times until a lady came in the bring us backstage. We all had on our black ALDC jackets with the logo stitched on the back and our names in red on the right side of our chests. I did an acro move, and soon the called us.

"Next, the Abby Lee Dance Company with Safe and Sound!" He called. Chloe was the first onstage for this.she dis some turns, and soon Nick was on. Then Maddie, then Brandon, the Brooke and Jacob. Then the rest of us. We did really well, and got a ton of applause. We walked off, grabbed our jackets, and ran to the green room. We took out the hair pieces, and put in silver ones. Then Brooke and I put on white rinestoned crop tops and skirts like Maddie's for her solo Angel, and and other girls put on costumes like that only in sky blue.

We ran it, and soon, we went backstage. The boys weren't in this dance, so it was the original group, minus Paige.

"Now, the Abby Lee Dance Company with We Will Remember!" Brooke and I were first on. It went great. We had a standing ovation!

"The girls would like to dedicate this dance to Paige Hyland."

We went back to the dressing room, and there was plenty of tears of joy and hugs. Then Brooke and Jacob had their duet. It was amazing! Then Brooke, Chloe, and I got ready for our solos.

Brooke got in a costume like Maddie's for her old solo Angel. her hair was in a curly ponytail, with a white hair clip. She was doing a piece to Maddie's old music, Angel. She had stirrup tights, since hers was mainly acro.

Chloe got in a gold crop top with black sequined edges, and a black thin sequined skirt with gold bootie shorts under and a gold rinestoned waist band. She had black tights and black jazz shoes. She kept her French twist in, and added a black and gold hair clip. Her solo was jazz, and it was called I Want It All.

I got in a hot pink sequined crop top with a black sequined pattern on it. I had a black skirt like Chloe's, only it had hot pink sequins in some places, and a hot pink waistband. My hair was in a French braid, with a black sequined tie. My routine was jazz/acro, and it was called Hit It! It was about a movie star. I had black tights and black jazz shoes.

We each an our solos a few times, and went back stage. Back stage I did a standing back tuck, Chloe did a few turns, and Brooke did an aerial. Brooke was first.

"Now, please welcome, act number 345, Brooke with Angel!" Brooke danced beautifully, and at the end, I saw a single tear in her eye. She got a standing ovation.

"That dance was dedicated to Miss Paige Hyland."

"Next up, act number 347, Chloe, with I Want It All!" Chloe did great, she had a ton of attitude, and her turns were amazing. She walked off, sassily, and I hugged her. Brooke ran over, from the other side, and hugged her. I hugged Brooke.

Then, they called my name. I did a round off stepout onstage, and got in position. I went all the way through, doing really well. At the end, I ended with my standing back tuck, and I nailed it! I did my ending pose, and the music ended. I aerialed off stage, and got huge hugs from the girls. In the green room, Abby hugged all of us.

We didn't have enough time to change, so I just took off my stage makeup, and put on a little normal makeup. Chloe and Brooke did the same, only chloe took her hair out, and French braided it. We pulled on our jackets, and walked out to awards.

"First place overall, in the 9-11 year old age category is... Mackenzie with Hit It!" I beamed, and got my award.

"What studio are you from?"

"Abby Lee Dance Company!" I shouted. We bowed, and I sat back down. They announced tenth through second in the 12-13 year old age category, and I didn't hear Chloe's name.

"In first place... Chloe with I Want It All!" He said. She beamed, and got her trophy. She came and sat back down. They announced tenth to second in the 14-16 year old category, and I didn't hear Brooke's name.

"First place, with a perfect 300 out of 300, goes to... Brooke with Angel!" He said. Brooke went up, bowed, and came to sit back down.

"Third place, overall 14-16 small groups... Studio X with Show Me the Real You!"

"Second place, Abby Lee Dance Company with Safe and Sound!" Nick went up, and got the trophy.

"First place, Abby Lee Dance Company with We Will Remember!" We all went up, smiling. We bowed, and left the stage. I changed. We packed up, and got on the bus. I got a row, laid down, and fell asleep.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Sorry! It took forever! Please comment and vote if you like it! I'll try to update more often. I need some help. I need another dancer, so tell me if you have any ideas of this:

Name:

Age:

Best dance style (s):

What they look like:

Thanks!

❤ Hannah