Chapter #4

Chapter #4: Moving In; New York City

***

Groaning, my head throbbed as I folded the last piece of clothing I could find in my closet. Tossing it into my suitcase; I zipped it up and stood up. I stood in my place, remembering everything that had happened in the last few days. How drastically my life has changed. Just last week I was stuffing my face with fries and squirting ketchup on Daniel's nose in my school's cafeteria- being a normal 17 year old. Now, my life is shredded. A big 'fuck you' was tossed into my face and it left me with this.

The teenager who hasn't showered for 3 days. Tangled hair, booty pajama shorts and a pajama top with an elephant imprinted on the front. Chipped black nails, unshaved legs and a whole lot of ointment on my chapped lips. I haven't had a care in the world. I think I've lost all my dignity and nothing anybody says to me will make me feel better. My body has shut down- and I can't even function.The house was empty, except for my Aunt and Uncle in the bedroom across from mine.

My parents bedroom to be exact.

Being in my house without my parents laughing or watching TV loudly, felt weird. It was frighteningly silent, nothing to be heard except myself, shuffling around.

Moving from my state of shock, I quietly opened the door to my parent's bedroom and looked around. It was empty, except for picture frames that hung from the walls. Boxes everywhere and dust could be seen on the hardwood floors. Out of nowhere, my Aunt's head popped out from the walk-in closet. She looked really sweaty, obviously trying her hardest to put away the hundreds of things that belonged to my parents.

"We promise we'll keep all their stuff. We'll place it in the guest bedroom okay?" my Aunt Sharon comforted.

"Okay." I whispered, as I just stood in the doorway, watching everything get thrown into the boxes.

All of my moms dresses were stacked in a large brown box and I felt my eyes well up when I saw her bright red lipstick sitting on the large vanity in the bedroom. The red lipstick she wore everyday for work. I moved up to the vanity and snatched the sophisticated lipstick and shoved it into my bra.

It must've been a long time as I just stood here in the doorway watching my Aunt go through my parents' belongings. Just as she was about to lift up the picture frame from the wall, I pushed her hand away.

"No. Leave it," I demanded, looking at the recent picture of my parents and I in our backyard during Christmas, hanging lights. "Keep it there. Whoever buys this house, is going to have to live with this picture still up."

My Aunt smiled silently, beginning to shake her head.

"In fact, where's my hot glue gun?" I forced a smile.

My aunt smiled back, thinking I was getting better. She kissed my forehead, nodding her head in approval.

***

I sat in the back seat of my Aunt and Uncles vehicle as they sped through the highway. I hugged my pillow tightly against my chest and I let my forehead rest against the cold glass window. I shut my eyes, trying to ease the throbbing in my forehead. Thoughts ran through my mind as I was remembering my departure from Daniel and Melody as well as many of my other friends yesterday. We stood in the school cafeteria, hugging goodbye and I could say it was the most hardest thing to do; say goodbye to my best friends and the high school I've been attending for the past 2 years.

"You guys better call me," I laughed quietly, pointing towards my cellphone.

"We promise!" Melody giggled, attempting to hide the huge sobs wanting to escape from her mouth. I could tell she wanted to burst into tears but she was trying to be positive, and in situations like this- she was known to let out a squeaky, very unconvincing giggle. Daniel came up to me, his hands pushed deep into his jean pockets which made his muscles flex. I dazed at the angel before me, before I engulfed him in one last tight hug.