Chapter 10 - The Hands of Fate

Melinda knew she had to put on her bravest face and focus on making funeral arrangements for Jobe. She could feel her heart shattering in her chest as she got dressed and ready to head out to the bunk house.

As she drove toward the bunk house she could feel tears start to trickle down her cheeks. "Not now!" She begged silently as she wiped her face.

"I have to make it through today without crying." As she pulled up to the building, she was awe struck at the beauty of the land and understood why he loved being out here so much. Walking up to the door she could almost feel his presence with her and this made her feel stronger.
There was so much she had to do today and she was not sure where to begin, but she was determined to get everything done and plan the best way to honour Jobe's life. As she walked in and took a look around she began to feel lightheaded and decided it best to have a brief rest at the oak desk while planning where to start. She grabbed the bottle of water from her bag, took a gulp and headed to the desk.

Sitting at the desk, she reached for the drawer and decided to see what was inside. Fumbling with the handle she realized the drawer was locked, so she started to feel around for a key that may have been hidden on desk. Being unsuccessful at first, Melinda sat back and took a deep breath.

"Help me out Jobe, so I can find the best way to honour you", she whispered to herself. All of a sudden she had the feeling she should move the shelf sitting on the desk and when she did the key glimmered in her eye sight. Reaching for the key and trying to remain calm as she steadied her hand to open the drawer Melinda said a silent prayer and began sorting through papers.

After sorting out the paper work into pills designated as bills, work information and personal items Melinda came across a large envelope that was sealed with a wax stamp. Curious she carefully opened the envelope being sure to preserve the envelope and seal as best as possible. Once she had pulled up the document tears began to stream down and she knew without a doubt the best way to honour whom he was. She knew what to do to ensure he would always be in her memory and everyone else's who knew and loved him.

Melinda decided to start working on the funeral arrangements next and she grabbed her pad of paper and the phone book and began the long process that lay ahead of her.

After she had made the necessary phone calls to finalize funeral arrangements, she decided that it was best to take a break. She grabbed her water bottle and bag and headed out to the barn to see one of Jobe's favourite horses.

"He always loved spending time in the barn," she said to herself as he headed up to the beautiful red stained building. As she entered the barn, she started to feel the overwhelming calm and joy that he always talked about.

Walking up to the stables that were attached to barn, she could feel his presence around her and was overwhelmed with such a sense of love and loss.

Looking around at the horses, she could swear that they knew he was gone and that they too felt the loss because they were eerily calm and quiet. She could remember every time he called from stables on cell phone, the horses were always active and loud when he was there - as if excited to see an old friend.

She walked to the last stall and looked in and there was a beautiful white horse with a small brown patch on his back. The magnificent animal was lying down in the back of the stall and looked so solemn. She remembered Jobe talking to her about how this beautiful mare would not respond to anyone but him.

She could feel the mare's sadness because it was as strong as hers - they had both lost someone they loved. She opened the stall door slowly and cautiously took small steps inside. Taking out an apple from her bag, she put it out in her hand and spoke softly to her.

"It's okay girl, I won't hurt you!! You miss him too, don't you" she cooed at the animal. "He loved you so much and was so proud of you!"

Slowly the mare got up and reluctantly walked over to Melinda and put her head down by Melinda allowing her to pet her. Gently touching the mare, she whispered to her "you are not the only one who feels lost now!" Tears started to stream down her face as she laid her head against the horses.

Getting lost in her sadness and the calmness of her new found friend, she did not hear the stable door open. Startled to see Jobe's boss she turned to face the open stall.

"Oh dear, I am sorry if I am disturbing a routine. I- I just needed to feel his presence and ended up here!"
"It is alright sweetheart, I miss him too - he was like a son to me! Take all the time you need - he always loved it here the most!"

Looking at how the mare was responding to Melinda, he quickly said "I see you made a new friend! Jobe was the only one who she would let care for her!"

"What happens now, I mean if she doesn't respond to any other farm hands?" Melinda asked looking at the beautiful horse beside her.

"I am not honestly sure - if she can't be cared for and broken into work on farm we may have to sell her."

This broke Melinda's heart as she knew that Jobe would not want that to happen. Out of the blue, almost as if someone else was pulling strings, she turned to the owner and said "give me some time with her and hold off on decision - I mean please wait"

"I don't know what good it will do but out of honour for Jobe's memory I will allow some time before I start looking for a new home for her," he said.

"Thank you, I just – I can't explain this but I feel like Jobe would want her to stay here with my horse and that we share a bond. I can feel her sadness" Melinda said as a tear rolled down her check.

Hugging Melinda he told that he understood and that she could try working with the horse for at least a few months as a trial.

Melinda looked at the beautiful mare and said lovingly to her "It is just you and me now sweetheart". The mare almost as if she understood out her head on Melinda's shoulder.