Chapter Eight - Precious Gifts

Melinda and Jobe sat in front of the fire place listening to music and cuddling while waiting for supper to be ready. Melinda closed her eyes and leaned her head into Jobe's chest -his arms always felt like home where she knew she was safe.

It had been a whirlwind year for the young couple filled with many ups and downs as well as many growth experiences during their relationship.

They couldn't believe that a full year had passed since they met. It had felt still so fresh and new like it was only yesterday that fate tugged on their hearts. So much had happened in a year and although not all was pleasant memories, Melinda would not have traded it in for anything.

To celebrate their one year together, Jobe had prepared a special supper. He had prepared all of their favourite foods alongside of a special desert he had ordered. He had spoiled her with gourmet treats and meals that he cooked every Sunday over the past year.

Melinda was very impressed at how far this once confirmed bachelor had come in the past year as not all his meals turned out in the beginning.

Over dinner, they reminisced about all that had occurred during the past year. They both agreed that the saddest moment is when Bill had passed away because he had become like family to them. It was the medically a shock when the autopsy had said he had died from cancer as there were no signs and symptoms of his illness. They missed him immensely, but knew he was in a better place.

Bill's death had made Melinda realize how much life she was missing working so hard and so she made the choice to work part time only and spend more time exploring life. She had taken up gardening and rekindled her love of reading and for the first time in years she had felt alive and free.
Jobe had reduced his work load on the farm by delegating more tasks to the new farm hands, which worked out for everyone. He took more of a teaching and training role for the new help his boss recruited, although he still loved doing the hands on work.

Over the course of the evening they discussed their plans for the next couple of months including renovation ideas for a greenhouse and indoor vegetable garden. It had been Melinda's idea as she had a plan to start a vegetable delivery for the less fortunate families in town.

Melinda had so many wonderful plans for the project and Jobe couldn't be more proud of her, but he worried she was starting off to big it would overwhelm her. He had suggested starting it as a pilot project on a smaller scale until they got a sense of how neighbours would respond to it. He tread carefully when suggesting it as she had such passion and confidence in her voice that he didn't want to break all the progress she had made with her counselling sessions.

She had agreed to downsize her plans and decided to spend more time researching demographics. It was the most excitement he had seen in her since they got the house from Bill. Seeing the spark in her eyes was so intoxicating that he swore that he could feel electricity when he touched her hand.

After they were done eating and talking by the fire, Jobe asked Melinda to get dressed warm and meet him outside as he had one more special surprise for her. Jobe headed outside to gather up everything he needed and waited for Melinda to exit the house. He was very excited and could not wait for her to see what was waiting outside for her. Jobe had been saving for her surprise for 5 months.

Little did Jobe know that while he was waiting for Melinda, she was preparing her own surprise for him.

"Melinda, are you coming my dear?"

"Yes darling, just another few minutes!"

After about ten minutes Melinda came outside in her warmest coat and began calling Jobe's name to find where he was located. After several minutes of wandering she spotted him standing at the drive way talking to his boss. The two men were leaning against a trailer chatting it up when she approaches them.
"What are you fine gentlemen talking about," she said as she went up behind Jobe and hugged him.

"Before I can tell you I insist you close your eyes!" Jobe was almost as excited as she was but had become a master at playing things cool.

"What do you have planned now, sir? You are so full of surprises," she said as she closed her eyes.

"Now give me your hand," Jobe said as he guided her to what was waiting. Placing her hand on the beautiful black mare, he then asked her to look.

"Oh my god, Jobe she is beautiful. Is she a new horse for your boss?"

"No sweetheart this beauty is yours - I wanted to fulfill a dream for you. I remember how you said your dream was to be able to ride."

"Jobe you never cease to amaze me, but where are we going to keep her. Our yard is too small."

"My boss has agreed to house him on farm and has given you full access anytime. All you have to do is name her and make her yours!"

Melinda walked up to the mare and ran her hands along her beautiful mane. Out of the blue in a voice that she was sure sounded like Bill's a name came to her - Arianna.

Melinda hugged the mare's neck as her heart was filled with joy and love and then ran into Jobe's arms. "She is so beautiful! Thank you!"

"It was my pleasure darling," Jobe said kissing her gently on her lips.
"Happy anniversary my sweetheart!"

Well Jobe was talking to his boss Melinda went inside to tidy up and prepare his surprise. She wanted it to be very special and meaningful both of them. She wanted to make sure that this would be the perfect night. She had wanted this for so long but her fear had blocked her from knowing she was ready until today.

Something inside of her said today was the day and she noticed that the fear and doubt were replaced with excitement and joy. She could envision every detail of how their first time would be and began to get caught up in day dream until Jobe's voice pulled her back to reality.

"Melinda dear, where are you!?" Jobe asked her as he walked into the house.

"Upstairs darling, come and join me
I have a surprise for you!" She sang out to him. As he walked upstairs he was greeted by Melinda dressed in a lacy white negligee sitting on bed.

"Wow darling you look amazing" Jobe exclaimed as he gazed upon the beauty in front of you "are you sure you are ready for this, though? I don't want to jeopardize your progress!" Jobe said concerned

"I am sure baby! Please make love to me!!" Melinda asked sweetly as she motioned for Jobe to join her on the bed.

m