Giving Up?

Just under two weeks had passed since the Crawley's had left the house, and the servants were very much enjoying their free time. The work needed doing was finished very efficiently by everyone, and so, much to Carson's disappointment, he announced the official beginning of their generous weeks off work.
Thomas had a genuine growing concern for Jimmy, he was moping about far too much, always looking very distant, and thoughtful... Not that there was anything wrong with looking thoughtful, he just seemed upset. And Thomas wouldn't take that, so he tried desperately to try and urge whatever the problem was out of Jimmy.

He tried being blunt and straight up begging him to tell him his problem, but Jimmy would simply shake his head, insisting nothing was wrong, but Thomas knew better. He tried again with the alcohol (not inappropriately so) but even with Jimmy giggling like a little girl he got no confession of any kind from him. He even tried asking Alfred if he knew what was up, but he would just shrug, looking very unbothered and almost pleased that Thomas was getting in such a state, but he didn't push it. However, it was getting a bit ridiculous.

One afternoon, when most people seemed to be out and about, enjoying the town, Alfred was wandering about downstairs feeling suitably bored, when he remembered Ivy saying she was going to pass on going out that today, as she felt a little under the weather. She was sitting in the servants hall, drinking a cup of tea and reading all alone, until Alfred peeked his head round the corner of the doorway. She smiled when saw him.

"Afternoon Alfred, how are you?"
"Decent I suppose, how about you? Feeling any better?"
"Much," she replied with enthusiasm, "it was just a little stomach bug I think, I'm alright now though."
"Actually, Ivy," said Alfred seriously, breaking the friendly atmosphere, "I've been meaning to talk to you."
She looked at him suspiciously but gestured for him to take a seat beside her. "About what?"
"Jimmy," he hesitated, predicting the tutting and sighs that would come from her.
Ever since her conversation with Mr Barrow, she'd been desperately trying to drop hints to Jimmy, but apparently he wasn't getting it at all. And it annoyed Alfred to an extreme extent, especially after Jimmy had even told him that he didn't like her anymore. He'd had enough, and in a bit of an outburst, he flooded out all his thoughts to her.

"Please don't start getting angry Ivy, I'm just telling you the truth! You need to know that Jimmy doesn't like you like that! He's been totally unfair in leading you on and such, but I'm telling you now that he's not worth it."
"Alfred I'll have you know I know for a fact that he does like me like that thank you and I'd appreciate it if you'd lay off him."
"How do you know for a fact?" asked Alfred raising an eyebrow.
"Mr Barrow told me so, and why would he lie?"
"You really think Mr Barrow is the most reliable source of an information? Jimmy told me himself the night of the card game, to quote 'you weren't the girl for him anymore'. I'm sorry if that's upset you but you need to know it's not gonna happen!"
Ivy paused in hesitation for a moment, but refused to believe what Alfred was saying. She didn't want to believe him.
"You don't know what you're on about Alfred just leave me alone."
Alfred could see that he wasn't going to get anywhere, so he left her, both feeling frustrated and angry after what had been said.

Down in the town, Jimmy, Thomas and a few others decided to stop in one of the pubs in the village for a quick drink. Thomas was feeling overly determined to finally get out of Jimmy what was wrong. He seemed like he was in a good mood, having purchased a cheap and very nice looking small model of a fancy looking car, so Thomas seized the opportunity as they took a seat at the table.

"Ok, Jimmy, this is the last time I'm gonna ask, because to be frank with you, I'm getting really tired of seeing that drawn out look in your eyes. What. is. wrong?"

Jimmy sighed, as he did so increasingly nowadays. "Well you'll be disappointed to know that I'm still not going to tell you, because there is nothing wrong. It's not like a have to tell you everything about me anyway," he said, feeling frustrated. That seemed to take Thomas back a little, Jimmy hadn't had a problem with talking about things before. Maybe he was catching on to Thomas' feelings... He was starting to feel uncomfortable around him. Thomas' heartbeat increased a little at the thought. He couldn't lose this friendship now, not over something as silly as this. He gulped, feeling a little bold.

"Has it struck you that maybe I just care about you? And want to know whatever problem you're having, so I might be able to help?" Thomas gave him a meaningful look, pleading in silence. Jimmy returned the stare, feeling the sneaky pull of Thomas' inviting green eyes, making him really want to tell him. But he resisted. It really wasn't that important, and Jimmy had been thinking about this for a while.

He was very irritated recently, about Thomas, and how closed he was. It had struck him that, although Thomas knew almost everything possible he could about him, Jimmy really knew a little about Thomas, other than very basic things. He figured, maybe the only way to get Thomas to talk, was if he held back some stuff. But he wasn't about to tell Thomas that, it would be as if he were giving up. Plus he worried it would make him look too needy. Thomas was fast becoming his best friend, he didn't want to start coming across annoying.

Jimmy coughed awkwardly, "look, Thomas, it's nice of you to think that and all but seriously, it's nothing for you to worry about. So can we just leave it?"

"But-"

"No buts," said Jimmy, cutting him off quickly. "You said that'd be the last time you asked."

Thomas' epression practically emitted irritation, but he tried to hide it under a false smile and a weak nod of his head. Maybe he should just give up, thought Thomas meekly, if we really didn't want to talk about it... He just wanted to know why he couldn't tell him.

"Have I done something," he asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" replied Jimmy

"Well is there something I've done to make you not want to tell me?"

"What? No don't be ridiculous. You've done nothing wrong." Jimmy didn't mean to, but he sounded harsh when speaking. He was a little annoyed though, because he was being honest, he had done nothing wrong, he hadn't done or said anything, and that's what he was so miffed about.

They slunk back into an awkward silence, before quickly finishing their drinks and walking in an even more awkward silence, back up to the house. They parted ways without a word once they got in, and both felt the need to kick something.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A/N : HIIIII I'M STILL ALIVE!!! I'm so so sorry for making you guys wait for such a long time for this next chapter (it wasn't even very good, apologies) this was more of a bridge chapter anyway for the next one, and if I repeated information in this chapter from any previous one's apologize,  just haven't reread it so I can't remember what I have or haven't said in it :')but yeah. SO the reason I didn't update in so long is bc I started writing this chapter ages ago, finished it, was super happy, then wattpad didn't save it. *crying on the inside* and I just got so frustrated and become totally unmotivated to continue. Since then I've been v busy with school and upcoming exams, but I promise you know, I WILL FINISH THIS FIC IT'S THE LAST THING I DO. I can't promise regular updates but I really will try at least once a week.  SO ONCE AGAIN, V SORRY, AND THANKS FOR BEARING WITH.