The Card Game

Black Jack; they decided not to play for money, Thomas knew how poor Jimmy's luck was, and he never really liked to take anything from him, even in a stupid card game like this. There was a general happy buzz about the place. Thomas, Jimmy and Alfred sat at the end of the table, playing their cards, Anna and Mr Bates sat a little further up, conversing about something that got them smiling, and even Miss O'Brian seemed cheery as she gossiped with some of the house maids. Ivy and Daisy eventually came into the room as well with a cup of tea and talked (although mainly bickered) amongst themselves, everyone was very relaxed, but one by one they all started to leave and go up to bed as it got later.
By about 11 o'clock, their playing seemed as if it were never going to end. Thomas had won the majority of the games, Alfred and Jimmy only a few, and all were now past a little tipsy. The only other left up was Ivy, who, unsurprisingly, said she wanted to watch their game.
"Why don't you play?" asked Alfred.
"Oh I don't like to, too intimidating," she replied, only enhancing Jimmy's previous thoughts about being so pathetic. But they all gave her big happy smiles which kept her quiet.

A few short games later, Ivy stated she was off to bed, and wandered out to the kitchen to wash up her cup before she went. Thomas saw this as good an opportunity as any to have a little chat of encouragement with her.
"Time out lads," he slurred a little, "I need a drink."
"You've got some here?" asked Jimmy, pointing at a beer bottle and sounding unnaturally baffled which made Thomas giggle slightly, nearly tripping over his chair in doing so, "no silly, a drink of water."
Alfred and Jimmy both let out an 'ahhhh' of realisation. They both felt rather silly and girlish in their current state.

In the kitchen, Thomas got out a glass and went to the sink, where Ivy was now drying her glass. She looked up at him with neutral expression.
"Good going with the cards Mr Barrow, fate seems on your side this evening."
He looked at her tired face and wondered if he should bother or not. But he did.
"Yes, it was, wasn't it. Hey Ivy, this may be a rather personal question, but do you like Jimmy?"
"Like him? Of course I do, we all do don't we?"
Thomas smirked at the irony, "no not like that, I mean... like him?"
She paused, considering her answer for a moment. "I suppose I do yes... He's very charming. What's it to you?"
"Well, being a close friend of Jimmy's comes with certain perks," he said smirking slightly. "You see, I know for a fact, that you two would make a great couple. He never stops talking about you, I mean, if I'm honest he sounds totally crazy about you."
Ivy blushed severely, "really?" she said in a fluster.
"Yes, really!" he said, knowing full well he may have been exaggerating the slightest bit. "So, the question is, what are you going to do about it?"
"What do you mean? Surely as the gentleman, he should be the one to make a move first, make it all official and proper?"
"Oh but you know what he's like," sighed Thomas as believably as possible, not that it took much to trick Ivy. "He acts like an arrogant plonk but he's far too nervous to ask anything of you. You need to be the one to get this thing going."
He looked at her meaningfully, a little unsure still as to whether he was helping or not. Well, of course he was helping right? Jimmy fancied Ivy, Ivy fancied Jimmy, it made sense for them to get together, and he wanted to do all he could for Jimmy.

Meanwhile, in the servants hall, Jimmy lit up a cigarette whilst Alfred sat back in his chair, looking a bit distant. Jimmy was feeling a sense of confession, this always happened when he was a bit drunk, he'd always let out what he really felt, which was usually not a good thing for him.
"I've got to be honest with you," said Jimmy rather suddenly, causing Alfred to break out of his trance. "I don't think Ivy's the girl for me."
Alfred seemed lost, gazing at Jimmy in confusion. "Why not? I thought you said she was good enough for you?"
"I did indeed my friend, but, that was before I knew her properly."
Jimmy sat, thinking about it more. "Yes, I think she's definitely off my target list for now. She's far too... squeamish? I don't know, we're just not meant for each other," he confessed very nonchalantly.
Alfred's eyes nearly glittered with newfound hope. Maybe he had a good chance with Ivy now... Thoughts swirled around in his hazy head, and he patted Jimmy on the back for no real reason, and they started talking about cars until Thomas came back in and they finished their last game.

Despite the fact he was a little drunk, Jimmy couldn't focus properly on the game. Now that he'd established with himself he didn't like Ivy anymore, what was he going to do? Granted, he didn't have to do anything, but part of him wanted to, he wanted to have someone like that in his life, just not Ivy. The thought downcast him more than it should've and as Alfred left to go to his room, Thomas and Jimmy stayed downstairs to put away the cards and put the chairs back in place.

Thomas being Thomas, had managed to immediately notice something was off with Jimmy in their last game; he seemed more distracted than usual.
"What's bugging you then?" he asked eventually as they walked up the stairs side by side. Jimmy frowned.
"Nothing? Why?"
"I dunno you just seemed a little occupied just now."
Jimmy looked at Thomas from the side, looked at his harsh jawline and pale face in the dim lighting of the stairway. How did he know something was wrong? How did he do that? He couldn't tell him what was wrong, it would feel too awkward knowing the... rumours, about Mr Barrow, and besides he didn't really need to. It's not like Thomas ever tells him anything personal (which was an increasingly annoying problem for Jimmy), so why should he? Just because they'd become good friends doesn't mean he has to spill all his secrets to him.
"It's nothing, really, don't concern yourself Thomas."
"You really ought to call me Mr Barrow ya know," he mentioned with a smirk.
"Yeah I know, I've just gotten used to 'Thomas' now though, you don't mind do you?" he asked concerned as they reached the doors to their rooms.
"No Jimmy, I don't mind."
They smiled at each other, then went to bed.