T W E N T Y - T W O

CHAPTER 22: FAMILY REUNIONS

Spencer Reid's POV

[October 12th, 2009]

Since we have re-arrived at the home, we have been tightly secured to two of the chairs in the aged dining room. Sanchez cleared the dead rodent from the living room but the scent still lingers, burning at my nostrils. We are completely silent, simply looking at each other as Sanchez prepares a bed for himself in a bedroom down the hall. As the night wears on, he eventually goes and falls asleep.

Rose and I stay alert though, both of us knowing that something was going to happen tonight.

Whether it be good or bad, we have no idea.

We just know it'll happen.

꧁꧁꧂꧂
Meanwhile

Agents Hotchner, Prentiss, Rossi, and Morgan had arrived back in Quantico earlier that evening. They briefly conferred with Jennifer Jareau and Penelope Garcia before taking Jennifer with them and hopping onto the plane.

Aaron was putting a lot on the line with his gut feeling, but he just knew that Sanchez had taken them back to the original home in Wallowa. The team did what they knew they had to do: trust his instincts. After arriving to the small town in Oregon, they quickly make their way to the old address that had previously belonged to Michael Andersen.

They barged in the door as the sun had just begun to rise over the trees, their guns raised and their footsteps light as their police backup began to arrive outside.

When they smell decay, they give each other a look filled with panic and concern; praying that the odor of death wasn't being produced by one or both of their missing friends.

Prentiss turns into the kitchen, seeing both Rosemary Cooper and Spencer Reid alive, tied to the dining chairs.

"The bedroom." Rosemary tells her, and she, Hotchner, and Morgan rush in there.

As David Rossi unties the two survivors, a whole world of chaos is going on in the bedroom of the small cabin.

"Ramón Sanchez, drop your gun!" Agent Hotchner instructs, but the man stands his ground, pointing his gun at the three agents who had entered the room.

The paramedics arrive just in time to see a muzzle-flash through the bedroom window and hear a gunshot pierce the calm atmosphere of dawn.

꧁꧁꧂꧂

Later that morning, after many hugs and tears, Rosemary and Spencer sit side-by-side in the back of an ambulance, two paramedics tending to their wounds and checking their vitals. They watch as a stretcher is rolled out of the cabin, a black bag hiding the corpse of Ramón Sanchez.

They sit in silence as the body is loaded into another ambulance and taken away, watching until the ambulance disappears down the road.

"It's finally over." Spencer sighs, looking at the woman next to him and wrapping his arm around her shoulders tightly.

"Then why don't I feel any better?" She questions, looking up at him.

"You will," he presses a chaste kiss to her lips. "You will."

"Guys?" Derek Morgan approaches them, trying to pretend that he hadn't seen the display of affection, but his small smirk betrays him. "There's something that I think you need to see."

The two are lead to the edge of the large property, both of them having their breathing catch at the sight of the most beautiful meadow either of them had ever seen. There were evergreen trees sprinkled throughout it, the rising sun peeking over the mountain and casting a pink tint across the whole area. They see the rest of the team at one corner of the meadow, so they meet them there.

Rosemary's eyes land on the two wooden crosses sticking up from the ground side by side, representing Mark and Evolynne Cooper.

"What would you like for us to do, Rosemary?" Hotchner asks the young woman. "The law says that the graves must be reported, but you don't have to move them to a cemetery if you don't want to."

"They should stay here," Rosemary nods, looking around the beautiful scene. "It's stunning. I'm sure that they would have loved it."

"Would you like some time alone?" Rossi asks her, and she nods.

The team begins to wander back towards the house, but Spencer stays behind. He places his hand on her shoulder, and she turns around, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. He rests his cheek on top of her head, closing his eyes and sighing contentedly. After a few moments, Rosemary releases him and turns back towards the two graves.

"Mom, Dad," Rosemary starts to speak, reaching back and grabbing onto Spencer's hand. "This is Spencer. I'm sure that you guys would have loved him," Spencer begins to tear up as he listens to Rose begin to talk to her deceased parents. "I know that I don't remember much about you two, but I can't help but imagine that you'd be kind of like me. That's how I knew that you would love it here, because I love it here. It's the most lovely thing I've ever seen," she pauses, looking up at the teary-eyed Spencer. "Okay, maybe the second most lovely thing I've ever seen," she lets go of Spencer's hand and reaches up to wipe away his tears before turning back to her parents. "I just want you to know that I'm going to be okay. I may not have everything figured out, and I may not know what's going to happen to me, but I'm gonna be just fine, I know it... I'm sorry about what happened to you. What happened to us. But I know that the two of you are together somewhere... somehow. And that's good enough for me," she sniffles, running her hands over her face as Spencer rubs her back. "I'm glad that I finally got to be with you again. It may not be in the way I thought, but things don't always go as planned. I love you guys. I really, really do. And I'm not going to say goodbye, because I know that this isn't the last time I'll see you. So I'll see you two later, okay?"

With that, she turns around and begins to walk back to the house. Before Dr. Reid turns to follow her, he turns to the graves of her parents and opens his mouth to speak.

"I'll look after her. I promise."