T H R E E

a/n: this story is set around the time of season 5, so the math is based around that time frame. :)

CHAPTER 3: THE PHOTOGRAPH

Dr. Spencer Reid's POV

[September 27th, 2009]

"Alright, this is what I have so far," Penelope speaks up, twirling lightly in her seat at the conference table. "Let me set the scene. The year is 1990 and the location is Wallowa, Oregon. Andersen owned a house in that town from 1985 until 1992 before he moved here to good ol' Virginia."

"I hope there's a theory with solid evidence behind this story, Garcia." Hotch says.

"Yes, sir," Penelope nods emphatically. "In 1990, the Coopers: a family of three went missing: two parents and their seven-year-old daughter. This case went unsolved and was forgotten for a solid 19 years. Until now, that is."

"You mean to say that Andersen held her for almost 20 years of her life?" Morgan asks, shaking his head in disgust.

"That's exactly what I'm saying, Hot Stuff. Not to mention, he most likely killed her parents right off the bat. Their bodies were never recovered, though." Penelope informs us.

"How do you know that this is her with 100 percent certainty?" Prentiss asks. "We don't want to tell her the wrong identity by mistake. That would cause even more confusion that she's already experiencing."

"Well, since I've never seen her, I'm leaving it up to those of you that have seen her to determine that." Penelope says, pulling up a family photo.

The father has dark and curly hair, dark eyes, and he wears glasses. The mother has orange hair with light eyes. The daughter, although no older than the age of three in the photograph, is undeniably the woman that we found at Andersen's house. Even at her young age, she is a delicately beautiful creature with bright eyes and red hair.

"That's her." Hotch, Morgan, Prentiss, and I all say in perfect synchronization.

"That's Rosemary Cooper. Born on December 10th, 1982 to Mark and Evolynne Cooper." Garcia quips proudly.

"So that puts her at 26 years old now. She'll turn 27 in two months and 13 days." I say after quickly doing the math in my head.

"Reid?" Morgan says, making me turn my attention to him. "Can you at least try to act normal?"

꧁꧁꧂꧂

Rosemary Cooper's POV

"Rosemary Cooper?" I test out the name that the agents said belonged to me.

"That's correct," Prentiss confirms. "You were born on December 10th, 1982 in Portland, Oregon. You grew up in Wallowa, Oregon with your parents who were named Mark and Evolynne."

"Mark and Evolynne?" I pay attention to the way their names roll off of my tongue. "My parents... What happened to them?"

"We're sorry, but they simply never turned up. They are most certainly no longer with us." She says, and Dr. Reid and Agent Morgan nod with sympathetic expressions.

"Oh." I sigh.

"We're very sorry for your loss, Miss. Cooper." Agent Morgan says sincerely.

"It's okay," I smile slightly, glancing up at him and fidgeting with the tube going into my arm. "I really didn't lose them because I don't remember them at all. It's as if you delivered the news of the death of two strangers to me."

"We have a photograph of the three of you if you'd like to see it," Dr. Reid offers. "You don't have to look at it, but it may help spark some of your memories."

I nod, straightening up and accepting the paper that he hands to me. Printed on the page is an image of two adults and a small child. I immediately recognize myself, so I skim past my face and try to soak in every detail about my parents. Both of them are beautiful, with glowing skin and pearly smiles. They look happy. We look happy together.

"Would you mind if I kept this?" I ask, looking to Prentiss.

"Of course." She smiles gently, and I align the corners, folding it in half and placing it onto the rolling bedside table.

"Thank you so much." I smile softly, looking down at where my thighs rest under the starchy white sheets.

"We just wanted to tell you as soon as possible. You deserved to know as soon as we knew." Prentiss says, standing up as if she was going to exit the room soon.

"Before you go, I have been remembering some details that may be important to you." I offer, and she sits back down.

"Of course, what is it?" She asks, nodding for Dr. Reid to take notes.

"I remember that sometimes there would be a different man around the house." I say, my hands beginning to shake.

"Do you remember anything at all about his physical appearance?" Agent Morgan asks me.

"He has tan skin and black hair and eyes. He's a bad man," I begin to tear up. "He used to hurt me."

"Rosemary, it's alright," Prentiss comforts me, my name sounding both familiar and foreign at the same time. "He can't hurt you anymore. We'll get his identity out of Andersen and bring him in. We'll catch him, okay?"

"Okay." I nod uncertainly and she rises again.

"We'll stay in contact, alright?" She offers.

"Yes, ma'am," I reply. "Thank you all so much."

They all nod and exit the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts yet again.