E I G H T E E N

CHAPTER 18: ROAD TRIP

Rosemary Cooper's POV

[October 10th, 2009]

When Ramón returns, it is near 3 o'clock in the morning.

"Okay, kiddos," He says, untying us and handing us two coats. "Put these on. We're going on a little field-trip. It's time for a change of scenery."

Spencer and I look at each other, but when Ramón grabs his gun we hurry into the coats, zipping them up. He slings a bag onto his shoulders before unlocking the door and waving us forward with his gun. We exit the cabin, the cold, early-morning air wrapping around us like an icy embrace.

The two of us lock arms and put our hoods up for warmth as Ramón walks behind us, keeping us at gunpoint. We hike back through the woods, unsure as to where we were going. Our breaths fog up the forest air and the October leaves crunch under our new boots. After what seems like forever, we arrive at Ramón's red truck. He opens the hatch over the back to reveal a makeshift bed of sorts, with pillows, blankets, and an inflatable mattress.

"What's all this?" I ask.

"Just get in," he says, and Spencer and I crawl in, looking at each other uncertainly. "It's going to be a long drive and I don't want you two to freeze to death in a metal truck bed," Ramón pulls out a bottle of water and some pills. "Take these."

"But-" We both begin to protest.

"Take them!" He demands, clicking the safety off of the gun.

Spencer takes a closer look at the pills and nods at me, recognizing them and knowing that they are not intended to kill us. We swallow the pills and hand the bottle back to Ramón, who snatches it away quickly. With that, he slams the hatch closed and locks it. I lay down on the mattress, letting out a loud sigh how comfortable it was. Spencer joins me and lets out a groan of his own.

"What did he give us?" I ask, knowing that he knew.

"They were just sleeping pills," Spencer explains. "I've actually had to take them before when I couldn't sleep; they're safe. We'll be fine."

"Where do you think he's taking us?" I ask Spencer as the truck engine starts up.

"I don't know." He shivers, and the two of us get under the covers.

"God, I just wanna go home," I say, but then I start to cry. "But I don't have a home. I don't have anywhere to go. I don't have anybody."

"Hey, we'll work everything out, I promise." He comforts me.

"Spencer, I'm afraid." I admit, sniffling.

"I know, Rose," he sighs, surprising me by wrapping me in his arms. "I am, too."

After a few moments of silence other than the sound of the truck crunching down the gravel road, I speak up.

"Did you know that you hugging me in the hallway is the first time anyone's hugged me?" I say, relaxing under his touch. "Well, I'm sure my parents hugged me when I was little, but I don't remember it."

He doesn't say anything, he just holds me tighter as we finally begin to grow warm. Our breathing falls into synchronization, gradually getting slower and slower until we fall asleep side by side.