Chapter 5

With special thanks to my wonderful and talented pre-readers, EmmyDana on Wattpad and ladylibre on FanFiction.net, who keep me on track with gentle nudges as needed. They’re the best!!  

Chapter Five

            As I woke the next morning, I was feeling so refreshed and energetic. I sat up in bed and stretched luxuriously; I was actually looking forward to the coming day which was a rarity for me.

            And then the events of the previous night rushed back in an overwhelming cacophony of images, scents, and sounds.

            Wait a minute.

            Hadn’t I fallen asleep upstairs in the attic?

            My sense of well-being dissipating immediately, I combed my memory, trying to recall coming downstairs and getting into my bed.

            But I could remember nothing after the pair of green eyes regarded me so…I guess “tenderly” was the most accurate description.

            It had been one of the strangest sensations I had ever experienced. A complete stranger had appeared in front of me out of absolutely nowhere, yet I had felt no fear.

            None at all.

            Not even mild concern.

            Instead, I had felt…safe.  

            Had I been really been that tired that I couldn’t remember coming downstairs from the attic? Was that even possible?

            Rubbing my eyes fretfully, I admitted to myself how deeply disturbing it was that I couldn’t remember making my way to my room and going to bed last night.

            Ignoring that I needed to get ready for my classes, I crawled out of bed and opened my bedroom door which was closed…just as I usually left it each night. Determinedly I climbed the attic stairs, pausing on the small landing, the bare wood flooring rippled with age beneath my bare feet. The attic light which had mysteriously gone out last night was still off, but I could tell by the length of the chain that it had been turned “off.” Last night the chain had shorter by several inches, indicating that it was switched “on.”        

            And the window which I had come up to close in the first place was now shut, the bottom of the window latched securely to the wooden sill. But I had no recollection of closing it. I knew how stiff with disuse the old window was; it had opened only with great effort (and a few choice curses) yesterday afternoon. So I’m sure I would remember the battle necessary to close it.

            Yet here it was: shut and latched, exactly as it should be.

            I felt a shiver run up my spine at the realization.

            I had no memory of closing and latching the window or pulling the light chain to “off” before going down last night. I pushed through the memories of last night—the contentment of the lovely evening, the irresistible sleepiness that had swept through me, and the tall figure with the green eyes appearing out of the shadowy corner of the attic, his green eyes so beautiful, so gentle.

            And my next memory was waking this morning—and not just waking, but waking with a joyful exuberance, a totally unusual occurrence.

            Huh. Weird.

            Shaking my head, I pattered down the attic stairs and into my room to get ready for my early classes, now having to rush through my routine thanks to my attic detour.