Chapter 2

I don’t own Twilight but I love messing with Stephenie’s characters. 

Chapter Two

            “Bella, I think this is the last one—or at least, that’s what the pixie says,” laughed Emmett, striding down Angela’s front steps and adding the large box he was carrying to the stack of similar moving boxes in the bed of Jasper’s truck.

            Although I had met Emmett only half an hour ago, he was already treating me like a long-lost little sister. An only child, I was enjoying Emmett’s teasing; the kindness behind his big brown eyes warmed me as he needled me constantly.

            Alice appeared in the doorway of Ben and Angela’s house, chatting animatedly with my former roommate. It was a relief that my best friend had immediately taken to my new housemates. Despite being a gentle soul, Angela was very perceptive about people; she immediately knew whom she could trust and whom she couldn’t. The fact that Angela was making plans with Alice for all of us to go to the movies together on Friday night warmed my heart and made me feel even more positive about my rather sudden move into the Hales’ home.

            Plus, the fact that Angela had never liked Jessica and had warned me about moving in with her definitely emphasized the value of my former roommate’s insights into people. In spite of how happy I had been last night to find a place to live with some wonderful people, this morning I felt even more at peace with the reality of moving in with Rosalie, Jasper, and Alice.    

            Despite my happiness at Angela’s wedding in July, I had felt rather lonely and left-out since that summer day. As much as I adored Ben, I was missing Angela deeply, plus Jessica’s cruelty had driven a further wedge between myself and my fellow students. Even though Angela and I tried to eat lunch together in the student center a couple times a week, I had still felt quite alone lately.

            But now, surrounded by bouncy and enthusiastic Alice, calm and wise Jasper, lovely and insightful Rose, and now Emmett the mountainous Teddy bear, I felt truly at home for the first time in a long time, especially as they had all pitched in to help me move my few possessions to the Hales’ home only a day after meeting me.

            As Alice hugged Angela goodbye and the rest of my new friends made their way to their vehicles, I returned to give Angela and Ben a warm goodbye hug.

            “Bella, I feel so much better about you living with Rosalie, Jasper, and Alice,” Angela said in a low voice, her brow puckered with concern. “I wasn’t sure about how you and Jessica would mesh, and I guess my suspicions were right.” Angela’s eyes burned with furious indignation for a moment, quite unlike her usual gentle self. “But I know that these new friends will take really good care of you.”

            “I agree. They’re wonderful. And there’s just something about the house that draws me in. I think I’ll be really happy there,” I replied, blinking rapidly to subdue the threat of tears.

            Giving my friend a rather watery smile and a fierce hug, and embracing Ben as well, I waved cheerily over my shoulder as I jogged to my beloved but rather decrepit blue VW Beetle, especially when compared to the vehicles by my new housemates. Jasper was behind the wheel of the truck with Alice beside him while Rose waited in the passenger seat of Emmett’s black Jeep with the top off on this beautiful autumn morning. Slipping into my car, I started the engine with its accustomed roar and waved once more at Angela and Ben, standing with arms around their waists on the front steps, before I followed Jasper and Emmett back to the lovely home waiting for us all.