Chapter 8- The X Ninja Star

I changed to my wolf and got ready to leap after him, ready to chase this dude down, but I was suddenly cut off by Raven as she blocks my way. "What was that!" She demands. "You let him get away!"

I was forced to stand up straight and face this girl, while Red X was probably halfway to the moon by now. "I didn't let him get away, he escaped!"

"That's not what I seen!" She yells, getting to close to my face. "I seen you staring at him as he jumped from the building!"

"How dare you!" I accuse. "I would never let someone go, he just... distracted me."

She snorts. "Distracted you, and how did he do that." I seen her cross her arms. "Don't tell me it was because of his good looks, because he has none."

My eyes narrowed. "I am not one to be caught off guard by looks, at least I can fight worth a damn because you sure were no close to catching him than I was!"

"You could have went after him!" She argues. "Don't tell me that's not true, because you know it is!"

"I was about to but you blocked me before I could!" This seemed to shut her right up. "Now the next time you want to stalk me while I fight, don't get in my way!"

We glare at each other for a few seconds before Raven's eyes seemed to move to the side. I follow her gaze to a terrified Starfire, who was watching this shameful argument. I actually felt sorry for this girl, and I never felt sorry for anybody. So much innocence in a world of crime.

Raven slowly meets my gaze again and I seen the pleading look in her eyes. I got the message that she wanted to take this elsewhere, away from Star. I just narrowed my eyes and gave her my own message, this wasn't over.

Forcing myself to get out of this nice routine, I turn back to Star, a stern look back on my face. "Come on." I growl. "Let's just get out of here. Do you have the case?"

Starfire reached behind her and unhooked it from her belt, then held it out so I could see it. "What's inside of it anyway?" Raven asked.

I shrug. "Only one way to find out."

I snatch the case from star and hold it out so I could see the lock on the front. It was a strong one, made to withstand probably anything, but with my claws which were as strong as steel, I was able to crack the thing into 2 with no trouble.

The case opens to reveal dozens of tiny vials of red liquid, each with some strange X symbol enabled on the glass.

"Xenothium." Raven mutters under breath. "What did I expect?"

I pick up a tube and roll it around in my hand. "What can this stuff do to hurt people." I couldn't stop myself from laughing at how ridiculous it sounded. "We literally have pools of this stuff on my planet."

Both of their heads turned to me. "You have what?" Raven asked. "You know what this stuff is?"

I nod. "Back home, we have Xenothium pools at the back of our territory. It's fun to play in during the warmer days, and it makes your fur glow bright red for a week."

"Better not let X know about that." Raven points out. "He'll be trying to hitchhike the next time we go back."

I scoff. "Which hopefully will be soon."

I could feel Ravens cold glare behind me as I stand and walk away, throwing the vial over my shoulder. I hear the shatter of glass as it breaks into pieces on the floor.

Starfire's voice comes from behind me. "We should get back." She says. "Robin will want to know how it went."

I hear footsteps as they head to the other side of the roof, leaving me behind. "Are you coming friend?" She calls to me as I stare out over the buildings.

I look over my shoulder to her. "Yeah, go on ahead. I'll catch up."

Raven doesn't even hesitate to take off, and Starfire followed behind her after a second of hesitation, giving me one last look before taking off after her teammate.

I was about to turn to leave when I spotted a shadow stretching across the wall of an apartment complex beside the warehouse. I follow it to a gap between buildings and see the glow of a red light illuminating from the dark corner.

I squint my eyes, trying to get a better look, and was not surprised at what I found. It was Red X, watching me. He probably seen and heard that whole argument. I snicker, he wasn't joking when he said he would keep watching me, and I found myself not minding.

I keep my gaze fixed in him, and soon he realized that I saw him and locked his eyes with mine. He made no movement at first, but after a moment of chilling silence he gives a small nod before backing away into the darkness, out of sight.

Without thinking, I open my wings and fly over to where he was standing only seconds before, but when I got there he was already long gone. After looking around the corner he vanished through and finding nothing, I turn to leave when I spotted something at my shoe. I look down and see one of Red X's red ninja stars that he used today in battle.

I kneel down and pick it up, holding it in the palm of my hand. He must have dropped this when he turned to leave. I study my reflection in the shiny surface. Why was this guy sparking such an interest in me? What did he want from me?

I shove the thought to the back of my head as I look up to the sky and noticed that the bright blue it was before was now changing to a plain jet black. 

I quickly pocket the ninja star and open my wings to head back to the tower, forcing myself to look straight ahead and stop searching for something that I knew would be dangerous to me in the future.