Chapter 3- Centure Of The City

We had made it to the city's central area, and all of a sudden I was bombarded by loud noises and hundreds of people in the same place. All I could think was, this city needed some serious birth control.

The mall itself looked bigger than all of the packs camps combined, I couldn't wait to see inside of it.

As we began to walk down the sidewalk toward the doors, I noticed many people shooting angry glares my way. It never bothered me, because this was nothing new, but Raven and Starfire seemed a bit uncomfortable. "Just ignore them, these Earthlings can't do any harm. " I say, seeming to shock both Raven and Starfire as I stuck my middle finger up at a group of adults, who were glaring at me from a bench as we passed.

"You're not helping in boosting your popularity." Raven mutters in my ear.

I shrug. "It's not like I'm gonna be here for my whole life. I'm gonna have my fun and then go back to my planet, where I belong."

When we get to the main building, Star walks toward the doors, but does not reach out to open it. I waited to watch her slam nose first into the glass, but I was stunned when the doors seemed to move and open all on their own. "How in the hell?" I ask, sticking my hand through the gap it created for us to walk through.

Starfire laughs. "It is an automatic door, it helps get people through faster than regular doors."

I instantly noticed many rooms lining the walls on other side of us. I almost had a heart attack when I seen these fully white people standing in glass boxes, no eyes, hair or anything but a body. I relaxes my muscles when I seen they were just plastic statues.

"Forever 21?" I read a sign that was extended above a doorway leading into a room. "What does that mean?"

"The name of a store." Starfire replies. "There are many more you must see!"

We got to a crossway where 5 halls seemed to meet in one big room. In the center was a gorgeous marble fountain, and in the corners of the areas were moving stairways leading to the second floor.

"I didn't know you had fountains indoors." I study the beautiful architecture as water spilled from the top level to the bottom, creating a waterfall. "Why don't you guys have one at the tower."

"Their a lot of work and make an annoying sound." Raven muttered, clearly not moved by the artwork in front of her. "We have Beastboy for those things, and besides, I think that fountains are used to just attract money."

This caught my attention. "Money?" I ask. "Is that valuable to humans?"

"it is very important in the city." Starfire explains. "It is a valuable that can buy even more valuables, like food or clothing. Do you not have this on your planet?"

I shake my head. "We barter, not buy. But in my case I've lived on stealing, which is pretty much shopping for free."

She seems to ignore the last remark. "People throw a coin into the fountain and get to make a wish."

She reaches into her pocket and flies to the fountain, sitting on the edge of the water like other people were around her. I quickly walk over and sit down next to her, scanning the bottom of the pool eagerly. I could see the glimmering from the coins as they waited at the bottom for someone to come along and fish them out. Slowly and stealthy, I cast a small spell in my hand to turn it magnetic, a skill that has helped me on many occasions. Usually I don't use magic while stealing, it just wasn't as fun, but this was in the center of a crowded mall, and I was smarter than to just stick my hand in.

Star throws her money in and it sends a ripple through the water, giving me the perfect chance. With the waterfall flowing, it made the water move and it was hard to see clearly on the bottom. I feel the power in my hands as the cold surfaces of dozens of coins meet my palm. I was as sly as a fox, no one around saw me do it. That's just how good I was.

"I must show you my favorite store." Starfire says as she jumps up, grabbing my other hand and pulling me to my feet. I grasped a firm hold on my handful of coins and held them out in front of me, but out of the sight of others.

"Are those from the fountain?" Raven asked as she comes to my side.

I smirk at my accomplishment. "What do you wanna buy? Anything you want, my treat."

"That money is not to be taken." Star scolds. "It is other people's wishes."

This just made me want to laugh at how clueless she was, how did she not guess I was going to do this? "I figured that, but then I made a wish that I would get a lot of coins, and here they are." I read the engraving on the back of a few and most read 25 cents. I didn't know what that meant, but probably not a lot.

She opened her mouth to argue, but I hold up my hand to interrupt. "Whatever you say, I'm keeping these."

They were both hesitant, but when Starfire looked to Raven for an answer, she just shrugged and they seemed to just forget about it. I stuck the coins in my pocket and let Starfire lead me around as she takes me into one store after another.