Chapter 4- The Claws Of The Beast

An hour passed, and we had been in every room the mall had. Starfire was lugging around several bags and boxes, all filled with worthless clothing that she would probably never wear.

"Damn Star." I snicker as she begins to fumble with a few items in her hand. "It would be easier to just buy the whole mall."

"Don't give her any ideas." Raven mutters as she begins to head for the door. "Now can we please go back to the tower?"

I was about to agree with her, but suddenly my eye catches these strange flashing lights in the corner of the room we were in. I craned my neck to look closer and see that it was a box with dozens of little animals inclosed inside. "What is that?" I ask before dashing off towards the blinks object.

Raven instantly followed me while Starfire is left behind, the weight of her bags holding her down. I get to the strange machine and realize that the little animals I seen were nothing more than cute plush figures.

"A claw machine." Raven answers as she sees what I'm talking about.

I examine the controls. "What is it? Like a game or...?"

"Game." She points to the claw inside the box as she explains. "You use the stick to move the claw over the animal you want, then drop it down to try and grab onto it."

I was suddenly intrigued. "What do you need to do to play?"

She kneels down to examine a sign below the controls. "25 cents." She reads allowed. "A quarter, the biggest coin.

I reach into my pockets and pick out a few that read 25 on the back. I seen a small slot and picked up one coin to push inside. When I did, music began to play and the claw moved to the center of the box.

"Use the stick." Raven instructs.

As I make the claw go in circles, I catch sight of a stuffed dog near a corner, and make that my target. I move the claw to hover over it, but when I hit the button to drop it, I was off by only 1 inch. "Damn it!" I curse as it comes back up empty.

"It's harder than it looks, isn't it?" I glance to my side and see Starfire watching. "Try again, maybe you will get it this time."

I put in another coin and perform the same maneuvers to the dog. I press the button but miss again, making me mutter very bad things under breath. "Shit, I was only off by a claws length." I mutter in my third try that Starfire urged had urged me to attempt.

This game became some kind of strange addiction, because 30 minutes passed and the stupid claw was still refusing to get that dog. The time I really got pissed was when I had actually a hold if the dog, but the claw released it just as it moved across the box to the slot it was suppose to be dropped in.

"You ass!" I curse as I give the machine a swift kick.

I feel Starfires hand in my shoulder as she tries to calm me before I could do anything damaging. "It is ok, friend. Maybe you can get it another day."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not a toddler Star, Werewolves are just a little competitive, even when it comes to stupid ripoff children games."

"I think it's rigged." Raven says, leaning on the machine. "I remember when Beastboy tried for 4 hours straight to win an iPad that someone put in it."

"Did he ever get it?" I ask.

She covers her mouth to hide her laugh. "He spend 200 dollars on it, but still could never win."

I snicker as I cross my arms and leaned back on the wall next to the machine. I look down and see a small door with a keyhole keeping it closed. "Hey come around the side and stand in front of me, maybe I can pick the lock."

Raven flies behind me and grabs both my hands, holding them behind my back. "You can't steal it." She chuckles in a mocking way. "Because now you're a hero, and hero's don't steal."

I jerk my hands out of her grip and turn to look her in the eyes. "Trying tell me what to do?"

She straightens her back to face me. "You got a problem?"

"What's going to happen if I do?" A growl formed in my throat, but was suddenly cut off as Starfire pulled us both away from each other.

"Please friends, I thought we had finally made peace." Her voice was desperate, and it seemed to make Raven actually back down.

"Sorry Star." She mutters as she pulls her hood over her head again. "I can't believe I thought I could be friends with a Werewolf like her."

Anger bubbled inside of me. "I never planned to be your friend anyways, so I guess we both got what we wanted."

I heard a long sigh from Starfire, and I knew that she was dissapointed we couldn't work things out so we could all be friends. Raven was sorry for her, but I couldn't have cared less. It wasn't my fault she was just to happy to see the reality of things, me and Raven were just too different yet so alike to get along.

There was a sudden beeping come from its Raven and Starfire's pocket. They both reach down at the same time and grab their communicators, the exact, moment when I realize I had forgotten mine back at the tower.

Raven flips open hers and Robin's voice booms from the inside. "Robbery in the warehouse!" I hear him shout.

I glance over Starfire's shoulder and see a small map appear, with a route leading to a building by the docks. "You guys are going to have to cover this one, it's on the other side of the city and would take us too long to get there." Robin voice sounds from the background. "It's only a few blocks away from you so hurry!"

Raven suddenly teleports all of Starfire's bags, probably to the tower, and then takes off toward the door without a word. With a glance to Starfire, we follow after her out of the mall and take off through the air.