Chapter Eight

Eight

                    "That's not possible.”

                    "Yes it is." Her voice is tired. Mine is incredulous.

                    "How?!"

                    "I already explained that."

                    "Explain it again. Please." I'm breathing hard. Hyperventilating, almost. It's all too much.

                    She sighs. "Alek, you're the Head Superior of the Fall Quadrant. It doesn't matter how you got the title. It just matters that it's you. Okay?"

                    Not okay.

                    "Please," I beg. My eyes plead with her, and she closes hers. Sighing again.

                    "You know that your previous Head Superior -Caldwell Barett- was killed when Summer destroyed Fall, right?" I nod, though I didn't know. He was a good leader. I'd even met him once, fleetingly. It pains me to learn of his death like this.

                    Sasha continues. "And you know that his son Haven -the Minor Superior- is only nine years old, which is definitely not old enough to ascend to the position of Head Superior. Correct?" I nod again. I'd never met Haven Barett, but I'd seen him. A small shadow of his father, with light hair, and the forest in his eyes.

                    Much like the forest in my chair. I shift again. It squeaks.

                    Sasha drums her fingers on the desk. "So. Since he's way too young, a pass of power occurred."

                    I begin to listen harder. The pass confuses me.

                    "The power was passed to the most eligible Base Superior of the two -as is the law- so power went to Cassandra Parker."

                    "But she doesn't have any kids. There would be no one to succeed her in the Base line." My voice is high with confusion.

                    "Yeah, but she's at least married. So there's a possibility that she could have a successor. Mercer Holden, the other Base, is widowed. So Cassandra Parker ends up being the most eligible Base."

                    "But didn't you say she was dead?"

                    "Yeah. She's dead."

                    "Then who-?"

                    "Your mother."

                    "What?!"

                    "Alek, calm down. Your mother was Cassandra's younger sister. She was to succeed Cassandra after she succeeded their father."

                    "And their father is-?"

                    "Was. Adamn Vitale. Your grandfather."

                    Vitale. Grant's last name.

                    "So he was-?"

                    "The original Base. Yes."

                    "And the pass of power?"