Chapter 7: Not Impressive

Mikey's bullying problem got consistently worse the whole of the end of April. He used to come into Sport with black eyes and they even started to get him at lunch too.

He just stayed strong around me and shrugged it off. But I knew he was hurting inside. The things they would say to him ripped my heart out. I could see the pain in his eyes. 

One of the worst times had been at lunch when me and Mikey had been sitting on the grass behind the main school building. We'd been talking about Summer and how we couldn't wait for it.

"There he is, the freak." A Jock came round a corner, followed by a group of people. Mikey saw him and gulped, turning the other way. "Oi." He said again, drawing ever closer.

I put a hand on Mikey's shoulder. Big mistake. 

"Does the little faggot need his girl friend to protect him? How cute." The Jock spat and the rest of the group erupted into laughter. "How pathetic." His tone lowered.

"I'm not his girlfriend. I'm his friend." I yelled at the Jock. He turned to me and another one said. "Stay out of it. You stupid bitch." I slumped back down next to Mikey and slid my hand into his, squeezing tightly.

"Hay freak?" The first Jock asked Mikey.

"What?" Mikey replied timidly.

"Oh so you reply to your true title now do you freak?" He smirked. "Good. Now where is your stupid emo of a brother?" He asked.

"How am I supposed to know?" Mikey spat, growing in confidence. 

"Don't use that tone you freak. I need to speak to your stupid brother." He snarled. "Actually I need to make sure he gets what he deserves. A nice beating." I felt Mikey's hand tighten on mine and I swore I felt him shudder. The Jock sniggered then he aimed a kick at Mikey's leg, causing Mikey to yelp in pain.

"Give that to him will you" The Jock said and turned to walk away, before spitting at me and Mikey. The rest followed him, spitting at us too. 

"Yuck." I murmured as they walked away.

"I'm sorry." Mikey said slowly.

"Why?" I asked confused.

"I pulled you into this. I didn't want to I'm sorry." He replied.

"Look." I said "That used to be they did that to and there was no one to help me and now I can help you." I continued. "I always be there for you." I said smiling.

"Do you wanna' stay round mine tonight?" Mikey asked suddenly, smiling.

"I'd love to." I replied and we got up. 

After last period I met Mikey at the gate and we hurried though them, before anyone could confront us.

"Freak" I heard someone cry and saw the Jock from earlier lumbering towards us. Great i thought.

"We found your freaky brother in the end. In the library with a comic." he chuckled. "What a freak. Well I gave him a good sorting out. So if you see him, tell him there's more where that came from." He said grinning before turning his grin into a scowl and spitting on Mikey.

"See you Freak." He said and walked off. Me and Mikey turned and walked to his house in silence. We got in and slumped on the sofa. 

We decided to watch a film, a horror movie called: ‘The Ring’. I hid behind Mikey the entire time. Afterwards we had some coffee and then I pulled out the comfy sofa bed in Mikey's room and we lay there talking.

"How do you put up with it?" I asked, after a few minutes of awkward silence. 

"With what?" He said trying and failing to sound innocent.

"You know what!" I said sternly.

"Oh, that. Well it's you really. With out you I wouldn't have coped." he smiled from his bed and yawned.

"Really? I don't think I deserve that." I saw Mikey, breathing slowly on the bed. Night then." I said slowly and turned over. 

"Goodnight." I said but I didn't sleep. I just lay there thinking. After a about an hour of thinking, I slipped out of bed and down the stairs to the kitchen. There was a note on the kitchen table from Donna saying she was staying at her friend’s house a few hours away and she'd be back on Sunday. It was Friday, officially the weekend. A few days of freedom from the prison, that was High school.

I heard something shuffle and turned to see Gerard at the coffee machine. 

"Uh hay?" I said nervously.

"Oh no you." He grunted, pouring his coffee.

"Love you too." I replied.

"Well I don't even like you." He smirked and turned to face me. The whole of one side of his face was bruised. The bruise was large and purple; yellowing in the middle and it caused his left eye to be partially closed. His lip was split and I saw some sort of words written on his hand. 

He saw me looking at his hand and pushed it up his sleeve.

"What you staring at?" He asked.

"Your face, are you okay?" I asked in shock.

"Of course I'm not fucking okay." He said. "I get beat up everyday and I don't even do anything to deserve it. Then they start to beat up Mikey because he's my brother. They ruin my art and my life. So no, I'm not okay." He spat, his hazel eyes were full of pain and sorrow. 

"I'm sorry." I murmured.

"Stop apologising, it's annoying." He said and reached into the fridge to get milk. As he did his sleeve shot up, revealing his hand. 

It was red and there were two words carved into it, probably with a knife or razor. 'Emo Freak' It looked painful and new. 

"Did you do that to yourself?" I asked, nodding towards his hand. 

He shot me a look and quickly pulled his sleeve over it. "No. I'm not that low. They did it." He said and by 'they' I guessed he meant the group of Jocks that had been ruining his and Mikey's live's.

He sighed when he saw my, ‘go on then’ look.

"They found me in the library. I was reading this wicked comic the art was amazing. Then they had pinned me down and one of them held my hand away while the other carved into my hand with a razor blade. It hurt like a bitch." He said, massaging his hand, in memory. "I didn't cry out or anything I just left them do it." He said through gritted teeth.

I stayed silent looking at his hand in the sleeve, where I thought the carvings would be. 

"Anyway." Gerard coughed. "Why am I telling you this? Being the stupid bitch you are, you'll go tell Mikey."

"I won't tell him. I didn't tell him about that time in the library." I said smoothly, hiding the fat that I was a little hurt that he called me a stupid bitch yet another time.

"You didn't?" Gerard looked at me and I swear I saw him smile a little but it quickly faded. "Thanks I guess." He said and walked out and upstairs, sipping his coffee.

I look at the floor. Those bullies needed to pay for what they did to Mikey and Gerard. But why was Gerard still being such a stubborn dick?

I sighed and went back to Mikey's room and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow of the small sofa bed. 

____________________________

I swear next time something more interesting will happen. I'm just trying to establish the characters. I'm planning on making this book pretty long, so the characters need to be shown first.

This is dedicated to someone who has been pestering me to write this. (I joke, you're amazing.) Thanks for the support, this chapter is for you.

-Y